Who's the guest?

:)

I see a friendly guest haunting this particular site :) I wish s/he would reveal her/his identity or take part in the discussion.

Hello?

Anybody here?

It's me

Hi.

Any help needed???

Hello Vivi!!!
I got this page accidentally! And as far as I could understand that is your Project with some other guys! And I'm very curious if you need some additional information!!!If yes then i can help!!

Hi, Amigo_! Yes, this is t

Hi, Amigo_!

Yes, this is the Idiom Project, and the guys involved are but a chosen few but we expect to grow, slow and steady does it, you know :)
As you might have read we're discussing virtually everything that has to do with idioms, metaphors, sayings, etc here. Preferably, we're tapping into a vast number of idioms no one has ever tried to render into Russian and vice versa. So, if you have any comments, usage notes, examples, you're welcome to take part in the project.

Hi once again!! That's a pit

Hi once again!!
That's a pity that there is no a chat!!!
It would be very useful sometimes to talk on-line!!!

Your words : a vast number of idioms no one has ever tried to render into Russian and vice versa--- I would not agree to these words, you have to render a part of them, because I have books on idioms, proverbs and collocations with translation.
Is your project commercial? And how old is it? How many project-correctors?

we can easily chat here, I am

we can easily chat here, I am following up all the postings you can find here

Good, that you can give us a hand.
Our project has been intended to be commercial and I am confident if we keep up the good work we can publish it and make a profit. The beginnings of the project were conceived about three months ago, and we've done quite a lot since then. First, this site is regared as a construction site for the future comprhensive Russian-English, English - Russian dictionary of idioms, metaphors, cliches, and proverbs. Secondly, we're the idiom team, the group of people working on the project. If we are to achieve good results, we have to find more corraborators, so your help is just what the doctor ordered. The people who are loyal to the common cause - Fenya, Milanya, alex, garans, Grayson, and yours truly :) Join in and have some fun. I appreciate your asking.

As to traslations, if you have noticed, we not only discuss the best way of tranlsating an idiom, we also cross-rference them, linking appropriate ones and find illustrative examples to make usage points clear.

Yes I've noticed your cross-

Yes I've noticed your cross-references and appropriate linkage.

But, as far as your way of proverbs,sayings etc. representation is concerned, (I read some part of your discussions) i'd give you a piece of advice:
To my mind It really would be boring to scroll aprox.300 lines of idioms up to the one you are looking for('cause one will feel dizzy<- from my own experince if staring at the monitor for long). It is really useful to use LETTER representation ! It saves time! 'Cause as I see your Project gonna be all-embracing one.
And as electronic one may be it'd be better to create 2 or 3 kinds of representation i.e. introduction,summary and entire( with as much examples as possible). In order not to overload a common user with odd information!!!

I have several of these books

I have several of these books published in Russia as well as in US, but maybe I do not have the right ones. Actually the books that I have compelled me to participate in this projet. All of them (that I have) leave a LOT to be desired.

It is really useful to use LE

It is really useful to use LETTER representation !

What do you mean by 'letter representation'?

So far we've been using the search engine and TOPIC button in each letter directory, which lists the idioms alphabetically. It helps, bcs I know that SEARCH here isn't my strong suit.

And as electronic one may be it'd be better to create 2 or 3 kinds of representation i.e. introduction,summary and entire( with as much examples as possible).

Could you give an example of the triple representation so that I can see and appreciate it? I am really not very well aware of 'intro, summary and entire' bits, provide me with more info, please. :)

What do you mean by 'letter r

What do you mean by 'letter representation'? I'm sorry i just did not know how to put it! I meant TOPIC button for each letter!

As far as it regards 2 or 3 kinds of representation i reviewed a part of your forum and ran across 12 items structure proposed by a member of yours.
And the debates regarding that.
And an idea ran through my head summarizing all the discussion to please everyone.

As for intro i just propose A Proverb with a one or two of its translations!
Example: As fit as a fiddle-В отличной форме, здоровый!

As for summary my proposal is the following:A Proverb with a one or two of its translations And vice versa!

And as for the entire representation it should be (It will be intended for advanced learners or users)something like it was proposed by Alex(12 items consisted) - whatever form or manner with entire description of IDIOM, Proverb or whatever you want to present.

And I would like to UNDERLINE that THE ENTIRE DESCRIPTION SHALL BE INTENDED FOR ADVANCED LEARNERS!!! With as many both variants of translation as possible!

That is just my idea to split it like this not to overload the beginners or interested in persons!

I am looking for equivalents

I am looking for equivalents to russian "Не делай добра - не получишь зла", "Сварливая жена хуже..."