Character Traits

If you can add anything to this list, you're more than welcome!
Letters ==> A, B, C

Letter C ==> C

Letters ==> D, E

Letters ==>F, G

Letters ==> H, I, J, K

Letters ==> L, M, N

Letters ==>O, P

Letters ==> Q, R, S

Letters ==> T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z

------------------------------------
СМЫСЛОВЫЕ ГРУППЫ
Скромный
unassuming
Стеснительный
Порядочный
нервный
Характеристкика со стороны ума (умственные способности, шкала умный -- глупый)
Харакетристика со стороны морали (порядочный, честный, обязательный)
Характеристика со стороны поведения в группе

Fussy, single-minded,

Fussy, single-minded, repulsive, trustworthy, glum, responsible, irresistable, naughty, saucy, cheeky, courageous, gutsy, daring, independent, superficial, coy, unique, brilliant, heartless, uptight, refined!

Are all of the traits going to have Russian equivalents posted, too? I think that might be helpful as some of the words might be unfamiliar to the users. :)

Vivi writes:
Yes, I have it in view to provide Russian equivalents and probably some adages illustrating some of these traits (e.g. as cheeky as a monkey). If you have any examples demonstrating the traits to the best of their advantage, please feel free to post them here :)

СМЫСЛОВЫЕ

СМЫСЛОВЫЕ ГРУППЫ
СКРОМНОСТЬ
Скромный -- стеснительный -- робкий
unassuming
modest
low-key...
Self-effacing can have a similar meanining to MODEST, which is generlly seen as a positive characteristic, e.g

.....In spite of her huge success, she remains self-effacing.

OTOH, it can also mean RESERVED and SHY and therefore be more negative in meaning, depending on the context, e.g.

.....She was so self-effacing at the interview that we decided not to give her the job, as we couldn't imagine her having the confidence to deal with difficult customers.

a wallflower
(a shy person who doesn’t like to participate in social activities) -- застенчивый, стеснительный человек; человек, стоящий в сторонке
Examples from Englishbaby.com

..... At first I didn’t notice Jane because she’s really a wallflower. But the minute I met her, I was in love!
.....I tried not to be a wallflower at the party because I wanted to meet people, but it’s so hard for me to talk to people I don’t know.

стеснительность, скромность

Порядочный

нервный

Характеристкика со стороны ума (умственные способности, шкала умный -- глупый)
Харакетристика со стороны морали (порядочный, честный, обязательный)
Характеристика со стороны поведения в группе
Характетристика со стороны отношения к делу (целеустремленный ...)

Целеустремленность

Is there much difference betw

Is there much difference between 'extravagant' and 'daffy'?

For each of the character tra

For each of the character traits above, I will be posting two examples below, one in what I am choosing to call a 'narrative' context which is less personal, and written in a third-person perspective, and the other which will be called a 'conversational context' which is written as though it were directly taken from the dialogue of a full conversation. I hope that these will be useful in helping to identify the meaning of each of these descriptive character traits.

I'll be taking it one letter a time. ;)

Absent-minded:
Narrative Context: The absent-minded child stepped directly into a puddle.
Conversational Context: “Jeff has been so absent-minded as of late...I wonder what’s on his mind.”

Abrasive:
Narrative Context: The woman was so abrasive at dinner that her boyfriend decided to end the relationship.
Conversational Context: “The way she shouts orders at everyone is so abrasive and unnecessary.”

Abusive:
Narrative Context: The man was arrested because of his abusive nature towards his children.
Conversational Context: “Dan gets really abusive when he drinks too much.”

Accident-Prone:
Narrative Context: The girl was so accident-prone that she managed to sprain just about every muscle in her body!
Conversational Context: “You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if she returns from the camping trip with another broken bone–she was born accident-prone.

Accommodating:
Narrative Context: The woman had been a very accommodating hostess, always considering what her guests might desire.
Conversational Context: “The waiter we had wasn’t very accommodating at all. He didn’t even think to refill our drinks when our glasses were obviously empty.”

Accomplished:
Narrative Context: Jenny, with her two published works, was very accomplished for a girl of sixteen.
Conversational Context: “You are both a doctor and a lawyer? My oh my aren’t you an accomplished man!”

Adaptable:
Narrative Context: Since his family had moved a lot during his youth, John was a very adaptable man to new environments.”
Conversational Context: “It’s a shame that Susie isn’t more adaptable to her new neighborhood. She used to be such a social butterfly and now she doesn’t speak to anyone.”

Adventurous:
Narrative Context: The woman’s daughter was of the adventurous sort, always yearning to do something new.
Conversational Context: “First she goes off bungee jumping, now she’s off mountain climbing! How adventurous can one girl get?”

Affectionate:
Narrative Context: The man was very affectionate towards his wife while she was feeling sad about losing her job.
Conversational Context: “High school sweet hearts are so affectionate it’s sickening!”

Agnostic:
Narrative Context: Being agnostic as she was, the woman did not choose to go to church.
Conversational Context: “I think it’s completely immoral to be agnostic. No one can be holy and doubt God.”

Agreeable:
Narrative Context: The girl was so agreeable to her friends’ opinions that they began to think she did not have any real opinions of her own!
Conversational Context: “Oh, well John is a really easy guest to have. He’s really quite agreeable to any plans you may have throughout the day.”

Aggressive:
Narrative Context: The woman had worked in sales for most of her life, so she had a tendency to be very aggressive in trying to persuade people to think like she did.
Conversational Context: “The guy was actually far too aggressive for my liking. I’m a very laid back person and I can’t be pressured into making decisions quickly.”

Aloof:
Narrative Context: The man had such an aloof nature that he did not show any reaction towards his girlfriend when she broke up with him.
Conversational Context: “I hate talking to aloof people. It never seems like they are paying attention to anything I say, or that they even care!”

Ambitious:
Narrative Context: Her written plan containing her future aspirations and how she was going to achieve them showed that she was a very ambitious woman.
Conversational Context: “How he is going to improve his business is constantly on his mind. I really wish that he’d stop being so ambitious and would take time off to spend with his family!”

Amusing:
Narrative Context: He had a very amusing personality, and was always able to bring about the laughter of those around him.
Conversational Context: “He’s just so amusing all of the time that I can’t ever manage to truly take him seriously.”

Angry:
Narrative Context: The man was perpetually angry, glaring at everyone he passed by.
Conversational Context: “I can’t understand why she is so angry all of the time. She has a beautiful family and a lovely home.”

Annoying:
Narrative Context: The child’s rude behavior was very annoying to those around him.
Conversational Context: “I think the way she looks at everyone as though she’s better than them is so annoying.”

Antisocial:
Narrative Context: The woman was so antisocial that when her mother finally convinced her to go to the party, she didn’t speak to a single person there.
Conversational Context: I really wish my child weren’t so antisocial. I don’t understand why she doesn’t want to make any friends.”

Anxious:
Narrative Context: The girl was so anxious about her first interview that she had chewed her fingernails to nubs.
Conversational Context: “You know, my husband gets terribly anxious about every social engagement we have. In fact, he gets so anxious that he ends up sweating profusely.”

Apathetic:
Narrative Context: The woman was disturbingly apathetic about the welfare of her children.
Conversational Context: “I really wish you would show some concern about your future and stop being so apathetic! If you don’t go to college, you’ll never get a good career.”

Apologetic:
Narrative Context: He was always very apologetic, even when things were not his fault.
Conversational Context: “You can really tell when someone has low confidence by when they have really apologetic natures, especially about things they had no involvement in!”

Appreciative:
Narrative Context: The girl was very appreciative throughout her entire life for everything she had received help accomplishing.
Conversational Context: “I wish her kids were more appreciative of all she’s given them.”

Apprehensive:
Narrative Context: Whenever Karen didn’t know what was going to happen next, she became very apprehensive.
Conversational Context: “Stop being so apprehensive about what’s going to happen and get a move on!”

Approachable:
Narrative Context: Jennifer always seemed very approachable to children with her broad smile and her pockets full of candy.
Conversational Context: “People are scared to come to me for advice? That amazes me...I had always thought that I was very approachable.”

Argumentative:
Narrative Context: The man’s argumentative nature led him to consider the possibility of joining a debate team.
Conversational Context: “Can’t you ever accept what I have to say for once without being so argumentative?”

Aristocratic:
Narrative Context: Her date immediately labeled her as being aristocratic when she demanded that her silverware was not polished properly.
Conversational Context: “I don’t understand why she has to act so aristocratic now that she has a little money in her pocket, when she grew up in a poor family like the rest of us.”

Arrogant:
Narrative Context: Being the arrogant man that he was, Kevin took advantage of every opportunity to boast about his achievements.
Conversational Context: “I don’t think he understands that the more arrogant a man is, the more other men will want to see him taken down a notch.”

Articulate:
Narrative Context: Ever since she had started paying for speech therapy, she had become quite articulate.
Conversational Context: “Can you believe how articulate that five-year-old was?!”

Artistic:
Narrative Context: The girl was so artistic that she would be able to paint beautiful scenery even if she were in the middle of the town dump.
Conversational Context: “She was such an artistic child...always wanting to draw things.”

Assertive:
Narrative Context: Since she had been to one of the finest schools of science in the country, she was very assertive about her scientific theories.
Conversational Context: “I wish my husband were more open-minded and less assertive about how we should raise our children.”

Audacious:
Narrative Context: It was plain for anyone to see that the young girl was audacious, simply by looking at her unconventional style.
Conversational Context: “I think that bandanas are only worn by the youth today because they think it is an audacious thing to do.”

Authoritative :
Narrative Context: Since she was the manager at work, she had an authoritative demeanor at home.
Conversational Context: “Since my dad had a broad education on a variety of things, I could always trust him to be an authoritative source of advice.”

:::::::::::::--------::::::::

:::::::::::::--------::::::::

Loquatious
Mercenary
(only interested in the money that can be ​obtained from a person, job, or situation; interested only in the money or other personal advantages that you can get from something) -- корыстный, корыстолюбивый; меркантильный

..... I don’t ​trust his ​motives – he’s too mercenary.

Merciless
Meek (and mild)
Miserable
Morose
Narcissistic
Nonconformist
Permissive
Pitiless
Pragmatic
Positive
Pettish (easily annoyed by unimportant things) MM
Peculiar
Punctual

Relaxed
Remorseless/ful
Resourseful
Restrained
Self-assured
Self-confident
Self-contained
Self-defeating
Self-denying
Self-indulgent
Self-possessed
Self-reliant
Self-sufficient
Stand-offish
Status-conscious
Shrewd
Smug
Sly
Snappish
Sophisticated
Studious
Suave (talker)
Supercilious
Snobbish
Sociable
Stuck-up
Sulky
Sullen
Superficial

Taciturn
Tensed up
Tight-fisted
Touchy

Touchy-feely {infml, usu disapproving}
(tending to express/expressing emotions / feelings in an honest and physical way or too openly. This word often shows that you dislike people like this (слишком откровенный, выпячивающий свои чувства напоказ); too concerned with feelings and emotions, rather than with facts or actions (сентиментальный, чрезмерно эмоциональный)

a touchy-feely drama (LDOCE) — сентиментальная драма

expressing emotions too openly
He was one of those touchy-feely guys who's always calling home to speak to the kids.

Testy (easily annoyed and impatient)
Trustworthy

Unfeeling
Urbane
Unprincipled
unreliable
Ungrudging
Unctuous
Unclubbable (BE)
Uppish
Vapid (talker)

____ Words used to describe someone who is easily annoyed or difficult to please

bad-tempered
someone who is bad-tempered easily becomes annoyed or angry

irritable
likely to become easily annoyed or impatient

moody
likely to become unhappy or angry for no particular reason

Pettish (easily annoyed by unimportant things) MM

touchy
becoming angry or upset very easily

short-tempered
someone who is short-tempered becomes angry very easily

sensitive
likely to become angry or upset easily

temperamental
a temperamental person gets angry easily, or changes from one mood to another very quickly

fractious
easily upset or annoyed

hot-tempered
becoming angry very easily

irascible
easily becoming angry

Fenya, I would translate 'sel

Fenya, I would translate 'self-effacing' as 'забитый', esp.in the interview context.

A self-effacing person feels uncomfortable in public. If they become the centre of general attention they sometimes flee.- Робкие, забитые люди не любят находиться в обществе. Если они оказываются в центре всеобщего внимания, то иногда просто спасаются бегством.

~~Letters A, B~~

~~Letters A, B~~
Absent-minded

ABRASIVE (behaving in way that seems rude to other people, because you say what you think even if it is not nice)

...an abrasive manner
.....When she's in a normal mood, we can have so much fun together, but most of the time, she is so critical and abrasive that I want to murder her. Is there any way around it, or will I just have to completely cut her out of my life?

Abusive
Accident-prone
Accommodating
Accomplished
Active

.....she remained active and alert until well into her eighties (see Alert {2} )

Adaptable
Adventurous
Affectionate
Agnostic
Agreeable
Aggressive

Alert {1} (watchful and ready, as in facing danger
quick in thought or action; active; nimble)
Describes a person or thing extremely aware of what is going on with their surroundings, and is often ready to quickly respond to a possibly dangerous situation) --

....... A mother who is at an airport with her children constantly keeping an eye on where they are and requesting they stay close is an example of someone who is being alert.

Alert {2} (able to think in a clear and intelligent way; intellectually/mentally active)

....... She's remained physically fit and mentally alert.
..... she remained active and alert until well into her eighties

Alone
Aloof
Ambitious
Amusing

ANALLY RETENTIVE (also ANAL-RETENTIVE, commonly abbreviated to ANAL) {informal, humorous} (too worried about being organized and tidy; showing too much concern with small details, especially in a way that annoys other people; meticulous) -- мелочно дотошный, отвратительно дотошный, въедливый, скрупулезный; ~ занудливый

....... Don't be so anal.
....... Oh quit being so anal.
....... Don't you think Adrian's a bit anally retentive? Look how obsessively orderly everything is in his garage.
(CALD)

In Psychology and Freudian psychoanalysis used to indicate
personality traits, such as meticulousness, avarice, and obstinacy, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in retention of feces.
Used conversationally to describe a meticulous person, but has a rather negative connotation; it should not be used in reference to someone who is just "meticulous" or "careful". It refers more to obstinate perfectionistic traits. Otherwise, you can use either "anal retentive" or "anal" in a joking manner. Example:

My teacher is really anal about what color pen we use.

Saying it to the wrong person could have very negative consequences. It's probably most safe to use it directed at yourself, in this manner:

"I'm very anal about…"

(The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.)

Angry
Annoying
Antisocial
Anxious
Apathetic
Apologetic
Appreciative
Apprehensive
Approachable
Apt (capable)
Argumentative
Aristocratic
Arrogant
Articulate
Artistic
Assertive

ASSUMING {rarely used} (arrogant, pretentious, or presumptuous;) — самонадеянный; высокомерный # => Unassuming
ATHLETIC (having good ability in sports; able to perform well in physical tasks)

.....Janet doesn’t play on any sports teams, but she is very athletic. She’s good at every sport she tries to do. (englishbaby.com)

Audacious
Authoritative

~~ B ~~
BALANCED (personality) — уравновешенный человек, человек с уравновешенным характером
Describes a person with no unusual behaviours. The phrase comes from the idea that some part of personality can be imagined to be like weights put on a balance. If one part of a personality is over-imposing, then it would be like a too-heavy weight that would not balance with the other weights available. (Opp.: unbalanced personality ) (Asp)

Belligerent
Bewildered
Bewitching
Boisterous
Bored
Bossy
Bottled up
Brainy
Brave
Bumptious (see Arrogance and conceit)
Brazen
Buttoned up

~~Letter C

~~Letter C ~~~
Calculating
Callous
Cantankerous /kənˊtæŋkǝrəs/ (arguing and complaining a lot; bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative; annoyed and tending to argue and complain) — придирчивый, сварливый, ~ вредный

........ He's getting a bit cantankerous in his old age.
........ By dinner, we were all tired and cantankerous.

==> <плохой -- bad-tempered >
Carefree
Careful
Charismatic
Charming

CHASTE{old-fashioned} (1 not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal; someone who is chaste does not have sex;
{mainly literary} showing no interest in sex; abstaining from sexual intercourse, esp that which is unlawful or immoral) — целомудренный, непорочный (не имеющий внебрачных связей)
3) (of conduct, speech, etc) pure; decent; modest сдержанный; скромный modest
4) (of style or taste) free from embellishment; simple; restrained -- строгий, чистый, простой (о стиле)
chaste classicism — строгий классицизм
chaste style — сдержанный, строгий стиль
Синоним(ы): austere
If you describe a person or their behaviour as chaste, you mean that they do not have sex with anyone, or they only have sex with their husband or wife.

a chaste kiss (MM)
.....She was a holy woman, innocent and chaste. — Она была святой женщиной, чистой и непорочной.

Syn.: austere, decent, decorous, elegant, immaculate, incorrupt, innocent, modest, moral, neat, pure, quiet, refined, restrained, simple, unaffected, uncontaminated, undefiled, unsullied, vestal, virginal, virtuous, wholesome

Opp.: blemished, corrupt, dirty, dishonourable, gaudy, immoral, impure, married, ornate, promiscuous, self-indulgent, tainted, unchaste, unclean, unrestrained, wanton

CHEERFUL — (chirpy,...)
chirpy / ˈtʃɜːpi/ {informal} (lively and cheerful; in a good mood) —жизнерадостный, веселый (син. Cheerful)
Civil
Classy

Clingy /ˈklɪŋi/ or Clinging /ˈklɪŋɪŋ/ (wanting to be with another person all the time in a way that is annoying) — навязчивый, прилипчивый; навязывающийся; липнущий как банный лист

... Friends need a balance of time together and time apart to grow. When a friend is extremely possessive and clingy, it's easy to become resentful.

...You’re too clingy. Perhaps you ring and text too often, try to move things forward too quickly (such as meeting their friends and family), ask too many questions and do all the chasing. You may try to please at all costs, lose touch with your family and friends, let go of your interests and hold back on expressing your opinions and values.

Clumsy
Coarse

COCKY (confident in an annoying way) – самоуверенный, самонадеянный; дерзкий; нахальный, наглый
Describes a young person who is confident in a way that is unpleasant and sometimes rude

...He's a bit cocky for my liking. (CALD)
...Hugh is knowledgeable but not cocky. (CALD)

Syn.: self-confident, self-assured

COCKSURE {disapproval; old-fashioned} (too confident, in a way that is slightly unpleasant, rude, or annoying to other people and that they might find offensive)
Someone who is cocksure is so confident and sure of their abilities that they annoy other people.

...a strong, cocksure young man (OALD)
...The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell) – Беда этого мира в том, что глупцы (идиоты) слишком уверены в себе, а мудрые люди полны сомнений. (Бертран Рассел)

Syn: arrogant, brash, bumptious, cocky, full of oneself, hubristic, overconfident, presumptuous

Compassionate
Complacent
Compliant
Composed
Compulsive
Conceited
Condescending
Confused
Conformist
Congenial
Confident
Conscientious
Conservative
Considerate
Consistent
Conventional
Content

CONTRARY /kənˈtreəri/ (not reasonable; describes a person who wants to disagree with and annoy other people) — тот, кто любит противоречить; кто постоянно делает или говорит все наперекор

...... He doesn't really mean it - he's just being contrary. (CALD)
......Fred is so contrary that they rejected him out of hand when his name came up for a committee position. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms)

CONTRITE {formal} (feeling guilty and sorry for something bad that you have done) — кающийся, раскаивающийся, сокрушающийся; чувствующий вину, раскаяние

Examples from books, newspapers, etc. :
...Another kid might be contrite or repentant or maybe subdued.
...Grimly, Lora marched back through the tent into the kitchen, with a contrite Boris trailing behind.
...Immediately contrite, Mike crouched by Adam and lifted his head: it lolled sideways.
...Mercy should be shown to the contrite, but the community needed to be reassured that the contrition was genuine.
...She was not contrite or sorry or any of the things she should have been.

Syn.: repentant, penitent

Controlling
Cooperative
Cosmopolitan
Cowardly
Crafty
Cranky
Creative
Critical
Crude
Cruel
Cultured
Cunning
Curious
Cynical

~~~Letters D, E ~~~ ~~D~~

~~~Letters D, E ~~~

~~D~~

Daffy (behaving in a strange way that often makes people laugh) => crazy

Example: He tries to convince her that she is not daffy. — Он пытается убедить ее, что она не сошла с ума
Example : She was acting daffy. — Она вела себя как ненормальная.

Example : I don't blame him for going daffy about her. — Я совсем не осуждаю его за то, что он сходит по ней с ума.

Dainty (small and attractive in a delicate way) — утончённый; изящный, элегантный || разборчивый, привередливый
...dainty china cups

Debonair
Deceitful
Decent
Delicate
Defiant
Despicable

Despondent (very unhappy because you do not believe that an unpleasant situation will improve)
Detached
Determined
Dignified
Direct

Discerning {approving} (able to show good judgment about the quality of sb/th) — проницательный; догадливый; прозорливый ==>Syn: penetrating

a discerning politician — проницательный политик
Children are far more discerning than we give them credit for.
The discerning customer will recognize this as a high quality product.

Disciplined
Disgusting
Dishonest
Disorganized
Distant
Distraught
Dogmatic
Domineering

Dowdy (not attractive or fashionable)
Down-to-earth
Downtrodden (treated in a cruel or unfair way by someone in a position of power)

Drama {sl}

▪ ▪ ▪ She's so much drama.

Dramatic

DRIVEN {of a person} (being under compulsion, as to succeed or excel;strongly motivated/ very determined to succeed; relentlessly compelled by the need to accomplish a goal; very hard-working and ambitious) -- целеустремленный

.....a driven young man who was fiercely competitive.
..... My husband is a driven man
.....They are driven, successful people.
....... Most of my classmates, in fact, turned out to be similarly driven.
....... The new breed is full of confidence, driven by restless ambition.

driven to be/do sth

.....in school, there are some kids who are driven to be the best in order to prove themselves or get an even better job (or in this case, rock star levels of cash).

(propelled, motivated or determined by a specified factor or feeling —used in combination):

..... results-driven,
..... purpose-driven

.....a market-driven response to customer needs

Synonyms:
goal-oriented, career-oriented
career and goal oriented
ambitious - having a strong desire for success or achievement
outright, purposeful, single eyed, single-eyed, single-minded, resolute (твёрдый в своих стремлениях), persevering (упорно работающий для достижения цели), purposive, ambitious, driven, aspiring, aggressive, motivated, committed, dedicated, firm of purpose, self-motivated

Dull
Dumb
Easy

▪ ▪ ▪

Easy-going

Easily led — внушаемый; легко поддающийся чужому влиянию;

▪ ▪ ▪ He's not a bad boy. He's just easily led. (=it is easy for other people to persuade him to do things that he should not do)

Economical
Educated
Eccentric
Egalitarian
Egotistic
Elusive
Embittered
Emotional
Empathetic
Energetic
Enigmatic
Enthusiastic
Envious
Egocentric
Excessive

Excitable (someone who is excitable becomes excited or angry very easily) — возбудимый, неустойчивый

Exotic
Extravagant

Exuberant (happy, excited, and full of energy) — бьющий через край, бьющий ключом, неудержимый, бурный; обладающий кипучей энергией

▪ ▪ ▪ an exuberant crowd (MM) —(возбужденная толпа )
...an exuberant personality
... He is energetic and exuberant.
...She needs to try and control her natural exuberance.
...So this exuberant young girl decided to become a screen actress. — Итак, эта брызжущая весельем/энергией девушка решила стать киноактрисой. an exuberant celebration
...And here, gaggles of exuberant fourth-graders begged for his autograph as if he were Pluto in Disneyland.
...What she intended to be was gay, pleasure-giving, exuberant, free, beautiful, healthy.

Syn: -->lively, effervescent, overflowing
Extrovert(ed)
Even-tempered
Exhibitionisit (eager to hold centre stage, narcissistic)

~ Letters F, G

~ Letters F, G ~
Faithful
Fanatical
Fastidious (giving careful attention to detail; hard to please; excessively concerned with cleanliness) — привередливый, разборчивый, брезгливый

....... a fastidious and incisive intellect
.......He's fastidious about personal cleanliness.

==>
Fatalistic
Fearless

Feckless (having a weak character; not behaving in a responsible way; lacking initiative, determination, responsibility, or strength of character and not achieving anything in your life; irresponsible) — бесхарактерный, слабохарактерный; слабый; слабовольный; безответственный; беспомощный; бесполезный, напрасный, тщетный

...A person who cannot be trusted to take on responsibility is an example of someone who would be described as feckless.
...The judge called him feckless for not having a job to pay child support. (answers.com)
...Her husband was a charming, but lazy and feckless man.
(OALD)
...She had lost the fecklessness of youth and settled down. (OALD)
...Too many mothers and fathers do not know what good parenting is and follow the example of Frank Gallagher, the feckless father in the hit Channel 4 comedy.
...In your feckless attempt to fix my washer, you broke it! (answers.com)

Syn --> worthless, irresponsible, useless, weak, feeble or ineffective; futile, careless and irresponsible,heedless, inattentive, reckless, thoughtless, unconcerned, unmindful, unthinking.

Feisty /ˈfaɪsti/ {infml; approving} (full of energy and lively determination; having a strong determined character and not afraid of arguing with people) — энергичный, напористый; смелый, смело выступающий (против чего-л.); боевой, с боевым характером

...feisty young women
...She's a pretty feisty kid, isn't she?
...She charmed the audience with her feisty spirit.
(LDOCE)
...Pavlov was feisty in his opposition to the Soviets, but, aware of his fame, they were forced to ignore his insults.
...Take, for example, little old ladies prone to cute, feisty one-liners.
...This may encourage a few feisty individual shareholders to sue.

FINICKY {disapproving} (too concerned with unimportant details and small things that you like or dislike; too worried about what you eat, wear, etc; disliking many things) — привередливый, капризный (= fussy)

..... She's very finicky about what she eats.
..... Some children are finicky eaters. — ...такие привереды в еде.

Flamboyant
Flexible (opp. inflexible, unyielding)
Flip {disapproving} (...) нахальный, бесстыдный; дерзкий, наглый; грубый; легкомысленный
If you say that someone is being flip, you disapprove of them because you think that what they are saying shows they are not being serious enough about something.

......a flip answer
......The tone of the book is sometimes too flip. — Стиль книги иногда слишком легкомысленный.

Flippant {disapproving} ( glib, talkative (old-fashioned);
lacking proper respect or seriousness) — легкомысленный, несерьёзный; бездумный; беспечный; небрежный

If you describe a person or what they say as flippant, you are criticizing them because you think they are not taking something as seriously as they should.

.....Don't be flippant, damn it! This is serious!
.....I am tired of your flippant remarks, please take the matter more seriously. — Мне надоели твои дурацкие замечания, пожалуйста, отнесись к делу серьёзнее.
.....He now dismisses that as a flippant comment.

Syn.: cheeky, disrespectful, flip, frivolous, glib, impertinent, impudent, irreverent, light-headed, nonchalant, offhand, pert, rude, saucy, superficial

Flirtatious
Flustered
Focused

Forbearing {formal} (polite, calm, and patient in difficult situations; patient and willing to forgive; showing forbearance) — терпеливый, кроткий

Thank you for being so forbearing. (OALD)
...a gentle and forbearing nature (OALD)
...Carlos was tactful and forbearing even when I was impatient and angry.

Syn.--> patient
Foreboding
Forgiving
Foul-mouthed
Fragile
Frank
Friendly
Frigid
Frivolous
Frugal
Frustrated
Fun-loving

FUSSY (difficult to please; not easily satisfied; too concerned or worried about details or standards, especially unimportant ones)

fussy parents — капризные, беспокоящиеся по пустякам
a fussy eater — привередливый в еде, привереда
...She's such a fussy eater. (see FINICKY)
..... Tell me what you want to eat before I make dinner I know you're a fussy eater / how fussy you are.
...‘Where do you want to go for lunch?’ ‘I'm not fussy (= I don't mind).’ Без разницы.

fussy (about sth)

...Our teacher is very fussy about punctuation.
...She's not very fussy about whom she goes out with, providing he's well-off.

Note also the words CHOOSY, PARTICULAR, PICKY, FINICKY which have the same meaning as FUSSY

Gaudy
Gentle
Glamorous
Glib
Gloomy
GOAL-ORIENTED
(one who has goals and visions and is constantly working hard to achieve them; a goal-oriented person or team works hard to achieve good results in the tasks that they have been given and nothing can deter them from obtaining their goals) — целеустремленный

..... The management team was made up of ambitious, goal-oriented types who'd worked hard for their positions. (CALD)
.....Thomas A. Edison lost a laboratory worth millions in a fire, with no insurance. "What in the world will you do?" someone asked. "We will start rebuilding tomorrow morning," said Edison. He maintained an aggressive attitude, he was still goal-oriented despite his misfortune. And because he did maintain an aggressive goal-striving attitude, it is a good bet that he was never unhappy about his loss. (Psycho-cybernetics)

==> DRIVEN

Good-natured
Graceful
Gracious
Grandiose
Gregarious
Greedy
Grotesque
Grumpy
Guarded (protective of one’s emotions, not vulnerable) -- скрытный, закрытый

.....She’s so guarded about her feelings. I never have any idea what’s going on with her.
.....Some people find it difficult to be emotionally vulnerable. They are guarded, and can’t open up and share their feelings, even with close friends or lovers.

== > reserved; bottle up
Gullible

Letters

Letters H,I,J,K~~
Haggard
Hateful
Haughty
Heartbroken
Heavy-handed (rather unkind or unfair in one's treatment of others; not careful in speech and action)
Hesitant
Holy
Homebody {n} (a person who likes to stay home; someone who prefers to stay at home; someone who doesn’t go out a lot) — домосед, домоседка; домашний (о человеке)

...She's a real homebody, and she never wants ta get out and do anything.
...I think homebodies are boring, I’m more of a party animal.
(ebaby)
...Kara is a wild child, but her sister is a total homebody. (ebaby)
...My boyfriend is such a homebody, all he ever wants to do is stay in and watch movies. (ebaby)
...Marriage has changed Khloe. It turns out she’s more of a homebody than a party girl. She completely turned my house into a home.

Honest
Honorable
Hopeful
Hospitable
Humble
Hypocritical
Hysterical

~~ I ~~
Idiosyncratic
Ignorant
Imaginative
Immature
Immodest
Impatient
Impeccable
Impressionable
Impudent
Impulsive
Incipid
Ingenuous
Ingratiating
Inherent
Incompetent
Inconsiderate
Indecisive
Indifferent
Indiscreet
Inept
Infantile
Inflexible{disapproving} {of people or organizations} (unwilling to change their opinions, decisions, etc., or the way they do things) — негибкий, не способный изменить свою точку зрения, упертый; тот, которого никакими силами невозможно переубедить или сдвинуть со своей точки зрения, позиции

.....He's completely inflexible on the subject.

Syn: Unyielding

Informed
Inhibited
Inhumane
Innocent
Insecure (without confidence, unstable, uncertain) -- неуверенный в себе; ~ (робкий, стеснительный {по контексту}

.....I’m feeling really insecure since I broke my nose. I think I look really ugly now.(ebaby)
..... Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside.(ebaby)

==> SHY

Insensitive
Insouciant
Insulting
Intelligent
Intense
Intimidating
Intolerant
Introspective
Introvert(ed)
Inquiring
Inquisitive
Insightful
Intellectual
Intelligent
Intuitive
Inventive
Irresponsible
Irreverent
Irritable

~ ~ J, K ~ ~

Jealous
Judgmental
Kind
Kinky
Knowledgeable

Letters L, M,N ~~ L

Letters L, M,N
~~ L ~~
Lascivious
Lazy
Lethargic
Lewd
Liberal
Logical
Lonely
Loving
LOW-KEY / low-keyed
(someone or something that is relatively calm, placid or not full of excitement)—неброский, не напыщенный, простой; скромный
An example of a low key person is someone who doesn't get easily mad or show wild swings of emotion.

….Yet if you're too low-key, patient and practical, you'll be seen as boring'
…..I think the president of China, Hu Jintao -- he's a perfect example. He's low key, preserved, very modest
Modesty seems to be in this system, consensus building, dislike the extravagant.
(Helen Fisher)

If you say that something (an event, celebration, party,etc) is low-key, you mean that it is on a small scale rather than involving a lot of activity or being made to seem impressive or important. An example of a low key party is one where people sit around and quietly talk.

…The wedding will be a very low-key affair.
....The wedding was a low-key affair, with fewer than 30 people attending.
(CALD)

~~ M ~~
Macho()—
Maniacal()—
Manipulative()—
Masochistic()—
Materialistic()—
Mature()—
Mean()—
Melodramatic()—
Merciful()—
Messy()—
Meticulous ()—
Miserly()—
Modest()—
Moody()—

~~ N ~~

Na�ve
Narrow-minded (opinionated; not open to other’s opinions; with tunnel vision; disliking or not interested in ideas or cultures different from your own) — ограниченный, недалёкий, узкий; с предрассудками; необъективный, тенденциозный, предвзятый
Syn.; illiberal, biased, bigoted, opinionated, prejudiced
Nasty()—
Needy()—
Neurotic
Noble
Noisy
Nonchalant
Non-committing
Nostalgic
Nurturing (caring; protecting; like a mother)— заботливый

…..My mom is so nurturing. I always feel loved and protected when I’m around her.

~ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ~
Obedient ()—
Obnoxious ()—
Obscene ()—
Observant ()—
Obsessive ()—

ODDBALL
(A person who is considered abnormal or strange in their personality or appearance; a non-square. In society, also referred to as weirdo, freak, nutcase, black sheep and other such derogatory terms. In reality, not necessarily a bad thing.) — странный, чудаковатый, чудик, со странностями, с тараканами, с приветом

…People always make fun of Claudia because she's a bit of an oddball, but I like her...she's different. (urbandictionary)

==> off-the-wall

off-the-wall
(markedly unconventional; bizarre; oddball:)

…an unpredictable, off-the-wall personality.

see [off-the-wall]

Open-minded
Opinionated
Opportunistic
Optimistic
Organized
Ornery
Outgoing
Outdoorsy (loveing to do things outside (i.e. camping, hiking, etc.)
......His new girlfriend is very outdoorsy. She goes camping every weekend.

-- What kinds of stuff do you do when you go out?
-- Last weekend we went rock climbing. The one before that, we tried out some underwater basket weaving.
--Wow. So, is she really athletic? It sounds like she’s very outdoorsy.
--No, not really. But she’s not afraid to try anything new. See what I’m saying? (englishbaby.com)

Outspoken()—

OVERBEARING (always trying to control other people /other people’s behaviour without considering their opinions, wishes or and feelings) — властный

Example: a bossy, overbearing wife

How to deal with overbearing friends/neighbors (article)

~

~ P~
Paranoid
Passionate
Passive
Patient
Penitent ==>repentant; contrite

PEOPLE PERSON (a person who gets energy from being with other people; extrovert) — общительный, контактный, коммуникабельный; легко сходится с людьми.
=> Personable; Likeable; Sociable

Examples:
..... Lexie is definitely a people person. She likes to be around other people all the time. And she goes out every night!
..... Dad shrugs off your embarrassment and says he just likes meeting people and hearing their stories. He's a people person.. He likes to learn things. He likes history, anecdotes, first-person narratives. He's always eager to know the inside story, the dirt, the skinny. He likes hearing other people's stories so that he can have stories to tell.
(Tim Lemire, "I'm an English major — now what?: how English majors can find happiness")

Perceptive ()—
Pernickety /pəˈnɪkɪti /{BrE} and persnickety /pər'snɪkətɪ/ {AmE} (placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy, fastidious, or highly detail-oriented; giving too much attention to small details that are not important in a way that annoys other people)) — въедливый, привередливый, придирчивый, педантичный, дотошный

..... She’s very pernickety about her food.
..... He's very pernickety about neatness.
..... Sorry to be pernickety—I can't help myself— but there's one wee mistake.

..... Sorry to be pernickety, but it's "mEssage" (not "mAssage")!
..... As a teacher, she is extremely pernickety about using words correctly.

NOTE: Canadian writers tend to use the American version. The British version is preferred everywhere outside North America.
Syn.: fussy, particular, careful, exacting, carping, painstaking, fastidious, finicky, picky (informal), nit-picking (informal), punctilious, anal retentive, difficult to please, hairsplitting, overprecise

Persistent ( )—

Personable (attractive, pleasant, or amiable in person; attractive to other people because of having a pleasant appearance and character ) — приятный, симпатичный; привлекательный

...The sales assistant was a very personable young man.
... Our secretary was personable, efficient and knowledgeable .
...He was certainly the most personable lecturer there.
...He was young, personable and elusive.
...I sat next to a personable young man named Yong Yoon, who was not a typical bureaucrat.
...Mark not only is eloquent and personable, he is Hollywood handsome.
...Nick personable, Eton educated, slightly big boyish looking is 30 and married with two very young children.
...While casual, it is extremely personable.
...Psychologically, it must have been extremely difficult for these students to equate suspect institutions with personable people.

Syn => amiable, attractive
=> People person; Sociable...

Persuasive

PERT {especially of a girl or young woman} (amusing, but slightly disrespectful; showing a lack of respect, especially in a cheerful and amusing way) — дерзкий; задиристый, нахальный; бойкий; развязный

...Katie is a pert outgoing young woman.
...Does that pert chit you were escorting home satisfy you, Neil?
...Known in her youth as Conie, she was pert, voluble, intellectually vibrant, adventuresome.
...Lady Maude, small and pert, was cheerful as a little sparrow, welcoming Benedicta like a long lost sister.
..........a pert reply/answer/question/look/etc
...............So, why the pert questions?
................Angie gave him one of her pert little glances.(LED)
...............She wore pert green velvet slippers and a lovely sea green robe.

Syn. ==> impudent, insolent, saucy, impudent, forward

Perverted
Pessimistic
Petty
Philanthropic
Pious
Plain
Polite
Pompous
Possessive {showing disapproval}(wanting to have all of someone’s love and attention) — проявляющий собственнические отношения к людям; ...

Example: ...a jealous and possessive boyfriend (MM)

Practical
Precocious
(unusually advanced or mature in development, especially mental development; more developed or more mature than expected for their age; developed or matured to a point beyond that which is normal for the age; manifesting or characterized by development, aptitude, or interests considered advanced for a given age; exhibiting advanced skills at an abnormally early age) рано развившийся,
2. prematurely developed, as the mind, faculties, etc.
An example of precocious is a two year old being able to read.

Example: ...a precocious child
..... a mathematically precocious child;
..... a child with a precocious wit.
..... The precocious child began reading the newspaper at age four.

[old head on young shoulders]
Opp. late blooming, a late bloomer

Presumptuous
Pretentious
Prim
Private
Profane
Promiscuous
Prosaic
Proud
Psychopathic
Psychotic
Pushy

~ QRS

~ QRS ~
Quarrelsome
Quiet
Quirky

Rational
Rebellious
Reclusive
Reliable
Religious
Remorseful
Remote

Repentant l
==>Penitent; Contrite

Resentful (feeling or expressing bitterness or indignation at having been treated unfairly) возмущённый; злопамятный, обидчивый; обиженный, раздосадованный

If you are resentful of someonel, you feel ill will toward them, mixed with envy, like when a newer coworker gets the promotion you've been working toward for years.
You might resent having to work late, but if your boss pays you a higher wage for overtime, maybe you’ll be less resentful. When there are clear inequalities among people, it often makes them resentful. Someone who wears themselves out doing heavy labor might be resentful of their boss who never breaks a sweat but earns more money. (vocabulary.com)

-- acrimonious, bitter (marked by strong resentment or cynicism)
-- rancorous (showing deep-seated resentment)

Reserved
==> guarded

Resilient
Respectful
Righteous
Romantic
Rowdy
Rude
Ruthless

~ ~ S ~ ~
Sadistic
Saintly
Sarcastic
Sassy
Savvy
Self-absorbed
Self-conscious
Self-effacing
Self-righteous

Self-seeker (a selfish person; a person who is unusually selfish; a person who seeks only or mainly to further his or her own interests) -- ~ тот, кто тянет одеяло на себя

Self-seeking (pursuing only one's own ends or interests; exhibiting concern only with promoting one's own ends or interests) --

Selfish
Selfless
Senile
Sensitive
Sensual
Sentimental
Serene
Serious
Shallow
Sheepish
Shy
Silent()—
Silly()—
Simple()—
Sincere()—
Sleazy
Sloppy
Sluggish()—
Smart()—
Sneaky adj. (clever, crafty, furtive)-- хитрый, пронырливый

Example: My sister is so sneaky, she can get away with anything. (EB)

Snobby ()—
Soft-spoken
Spiritual
Spiteful

Squishy (being soft, yielding, and damp; sloppily sentimental) —

Squeamish
Stern
Stingy
Stoical
Straight-laced
Strict
Stubborn
Submissive
Subtle
Supportive
Surly
Suspicious
Sweet
Sympathetic

T, U, V, W, X, Y,

T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
Tactful
Talkative
Telepathic
Temperamental
Tense
Tentative
Thoughtful
Thrifty
Timid
Tireless
Tolerant()—
Tough()—
Traitorous()—
Trivial()—
Trusting()—
Tyrannical()—
Unapproachable

Unassuming {approv.} (behaving in a quiet and pleasant way, without trying to appear better or more important than other people; not pretentious or arrogant; modest) — непритязательный, скромный

Example: ... an unassuming and kindly man;
an unassuming librarian; an unassuming manner; an unassuming neighborhood

Opp. assuming; pretentious, presumptuous

Unbalanced personality — неуравновешенный человек; || с неустойчивой психикой, психически неусточивый
Describes a person who behaves in a very unusual way. Almost always the term describes someone who not only behaves in an unusual way, but is also a danger to others (e.g. a mentally ill murderer). The term is the opposite of balanced personality. (Asp)(see also Moody, Volatile)

Unclean
Uncommunicative()—
Unconventional()—
Uneasy()—
Uninhibited()—

UNMANNERLY (not having or showing good manners; not polite;
having or showing poor manners; lacking good manners; rude; discourteous; ill-mannered; rude) — невежливый, невоспитанный; грубый

..... I was a very rude and unmannerly girl who blurted out everything she saw.

Unmotivated
Unreasonable
Unscrupulous

UNYIELDING /ʌnˈyildɪŋ/ {formal} {of a person or their behaviour} (unlikely to be swayed; resolute; not giving way to pressure or persuasion; obdurate; not willing to change your ideas or beliefs; completely unwilling to change a decision, opinion, demand, etc) — твёрдый, упорный; неподатливый, несгибаемый; непреклонный; непрошибаемый; непробиваемый
If a person is unyielding, they are not easily influenced and they are unlikely to change their mind.

.......unyielding in one's demands — непреклонный в своих требованиях
...... an unyielding resistance to change (LDOCE)

Never a big name but always a reliable staple on TV crime shows during the 1960s and 1970s, Harold J. Stone usually was seen in a strong, unsympathetic vein — an unyielding father or husband, corrupt businessman, menacing crime figure, etc. A sober-looking gent with a block jaw, Romanesque-styled nose and steely gray-black hair, he was also prone to playing ethnic types of varying origins..

......The main character Struja is an unyielding rock musician in a demo-band called When Dirty Harry Met Dirty Sally.

......His ward in the mental institution is run by an unyielding tyrant , Nurse Ratched , who has cowed the patients (most of whom are "voluntary" or there by choice) into dejected institutionalized submission. McMurphy becomes ensnared in a number of power games with Nurse Ratched for the hearts and minds of the patients. All the time, however, the question is just how sane any of the players in the ward actually are.

Similar to: STUBBORN; dogged, dour, persistent, pertinacious, tenacious;= firm, tough, rigid, hardline, uncompromising, determined, relentless, adamant, staunch, resolute, intractable, Inflexible, inexorable, steadfast, obstinate, unwavering, immovable, unbending, obdurate, stiff-necked,

UPBEAT {infml} pleasantly (even unrealistically) optimistic; marked by cheerfulness or optimism; with/in a positive mood

............ An upbeat person is a positive thinker and believes there is always good answers to everything.
............ An upbeat person is usually in a good mood and is always seeing the good side to most things. An upbeat person is a more social person with others and makes others around them feel better about themselves. Always cheerful, helpful. (answers.yahoo.com)
............These are people who are generally happy with their lives and directions in life, and people who are well-cared for and shower that care back in many forms. (answers.yahoo.com)
............Many millennials are upbeat, confident, and believe in helping others and serving the community. This generation has grown up feeling that the world has big problems, but we can all come together and fix them.
............television dramas with predictably upbeat endings.

To be upbeat is to look on the bright side of things and to be happy.
Synonyms: optimistic; happy; cheerful; pollyannaish// expecting the best in this best of all possible worlds

~V ~W~ X
Vain ()—
Vengeful ()—
Verbose ()—
Vindictive ()—
Virtuous ()—
Vivacious ()—
VOLATILE
{of a person or their moods, often disapproving} (changing easily from one mood to another; someone who is volatile can quickly become angry or violent (MM))

...a highly volatile personality

(see also Moody, Unbalanced)

Vulgar ()—
Vulnerable ()—

WELL ADJUSTED {of a person}
able to deal with people, problems and life in general in a normal, sensible way
хорошо приспособленный, психологически зрелый, уравновешенный,спокойный; уживчивый; хорошо себя чувствующий в любой обстановке; ...

...…..The school aims to produce well-adjusted members of society.

opp. MALADJUSTED/ mal-adjusted {especially of children}
having mental and emotional problems that lead to unacceptable behaviour (неприспособленный, плохо приспособленный)

Well-groomed ()—
Wholesome ()—
Wicked ()—
Withdrawn ()—

Woo-woo (mystical, alternative, out-there, New Age) — слонный к мистике, эзотерике, оккультизму; мистически настроенный;|| мистический

...She’s getting so woo-woo. Now she believes that crystals can tell the future!
... Huh. I’ve always thought of astrology as being sort of New Age-y, kind of woo-woo. Where’s the science behind the idea that all people born in August are similar? It can be fun to read your horoscope and see how it matches up to your life, but you don’t have to believe every word of it. (englishbaby.com)

==> New age
New Age (group of beliefs including an interest in alternative healing, astrology, and spirituality)

...His beliefs are a little bit New Age for me. I’m much more traditional.
...I used to take regular dry saunas after a light workout, and there was this crazy old man who was always in there, and he was a bit 'new age'.
...I am not familiar with David Icke but will check out his videos as well as the others posted but he seems a bit New Age.
...Talk with him for a while, and at times he sounds a bit New Age. For example, he's constantly talking about trying to understand the "fabric" of a company -- which lies buried deep beneath first impressions and superficial financial analysis.

Worldly ()—
Wussy {Slang}
(A person regarded as weak or timid and especially as unmanly. A person with no guts. A person who whines all day and sits around and cries like a little baby for years over nothing. Will blow anything out of proportion and create drama to forget about their sad miserable lives.) — тряпка, рохля, слабак, размазня, вялый, нерешительный человек

...Vitale is a such a wussy. He whines about EVERYTHING.
..."Cats are for wusses, dog men say." (Laura Blumenfeld)

Zany ()—
Zealous ()—

BAD-TEMPERED --

BAD-TEMPERED -- synonyms
argumentative
bad-tempered
bilious formal If someone is bilious, they are always in a bad mood:

.......a bilious old man

Bolshy
describes someone who often argues and makes difficulties:

......... He's a bit bolshy these days.

Cantankerous /kənˊtæŋkǝrəs/ (arguing and complaining a lot; bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative; annoyed and tending to argue and complain) — придирчивый, сварливый, ~ вредный

........ He's getting a bit cantankerous in his old age.
........ By dinner, we were all tired and cantankerous.

chippy
contrariness noun
contrary
crabby
cranky (BAD-TEMPERED)
crotchety
crusty (EASILY ANNOYED)
DYSCPEPTIC /dɪˈspep.tɪk/
› literary always angry or easily annoyed
fractious
grouchy
grumpy
hot (ANGRY)
huffy
ill-tempered
impatient
irascible

irritable (becoming annoyed very easily) -- раздражительный, раздраженный

....... Be careful what you say - he's rather irritable today. ......."Don't disturb me again," she said in an irritable (= angry) voice.

narky
obstreperous
ornery
peevish
peppery easily annoyed: He was a famously peppery lawyer.
petulant
pugnacious
quarrelsome
quick temper noun
ratty
scrappy (ARGUMENT)
sensitivity noun (UPSETTING)
short (NOT PATIENT)
short-tempered
shrewish
snappish
sour (BAD FEELING)
spiky (BAD MOOD)
stroppy
surly
testy
tetchy
truculent
angry or easily annoyed

wear thin
If your patience wears thin, you become less and less patient:
....... I've warned you several times about being late and my patience is wearing thin.

be like a bear with a sore head
be spoiling for a fight
get out of bed (on) the wrong side
have a short fuse

be hell on wheels (to behave in an angry or difficult way)

When he was drinking, Ken was hell on wheels.

Unkind, cruel &

Unkind, cruel & unfeeling
synonyms, related words and phrases that make up this topic.

acerbic
acid (UNKIND)
acidly adverb
backbiting noun
backhanded
barbaric
barbarism noun
barbarity noun
barbarous
barbed (WITH SHARP POINT)
beastly
bestial
bestiality noun (CRUELTY)
bilious
bitch noun (COMPLAINT)
bitchy
biting (CRITICAL)
brittle (UNKIND)
callous
catty
caustic (WORDS)
cheap (UNKIND)
cold-blooded
cold-hearted
cruel
cruelty noun
cutthroat
fiendish
hard-hearted
harsh (UNKIND)
heartless
horrid
inhuman
inhumane
inhumanity noun
insensible
insensitive
malice noun
malicious
malign
malignant (EVIL)
mean (NOT KIND)
mental cruelty noun
merciless
monster noun (PERSON)
mordant
nasty
pitiless
remorseless
ruthless
sadism noun
savagery noun
severe (NOT KIND)
shitty
short shrift noun
snarky
stony (PERSON)
swinish
tart (BEHAVIOUR)
thick-skinned
trenchant
uncharitable
unchristian
unfeeling
unkind
unsparing (HIDING NOTHING)
unsympathetic
waspish

a cheap shot idiom
below the belt idiom
have a heart of stone idiom
have a sharp tongue idiom

ARROGANCE & CONCEIT arrogant

ARROGANCE & CONCEIT
arrogant
bigheaded
Bombastic (using long and difficult words, usually to make people think you know more than you do) -- напыщенный, вычурный, высокопарный; заумный; выспренний

...a bombastic preacher
...a bombastic statement

Brash (
Bumptious (unpleasantly confident)

...a bumptious young man

clever-clever
cocksure
cocky
conceited
condescending
egocentric
egotistic
full (CONTAINING A LOT)
haughty
high-flown
highfalutin
hoity-toity
immodest
imperious
infra dig
infra dig (to do sth) /ˌɪn.frəˈdɪɡ/ UK old-fashioned
› below what you consider to be socially acceptable:

..... Diane thinks it's a bit infra dig to do her own housework.

jumped-up
lordly
officious
opinionated
overbearing
overweening
patronizing
pompous
Portentous /pɔ:ˈtentəs/ {formal disapproving}
(self-important, too serious and trying to be very important) -- важный, напыщенный (о человеке)
An example of portentous is a professor’s lecture that is more about his own experiences than about teaching a subject.

...The problem with the book is that it sometimes descends into portentous philosophizing.

literary Portentous events, statements, or signs are important because they show that something unpleasant is very likely to happen: ~ предсказывающий дурное; зловещий

........The report contains numerous portentous references to a future environmental calamity.

proud (FEELING IMPORTANT)
self-appointed
behaving as if you have responsibility or authority but without having been chosen by other people:
..... The newspaper has become the self-appointed guardian of public morals.
self-opinionated
self-satisfied
sententious
smug
snooty
snotty (PERSON)
stuck up
supercilious
superior (BETTER)
swanky
toffee-nosed
uppity
vain (SELFISH)

NOUNS
cock of the walk
know-all
narcissist
smart alec
smart mouth
smarty-pants
swollen head
tin god
(also little tin god) literary disapproving
› someone who behaves as if they were more important or powerful than they really are

too clever by half
to be too confident of your own intelligence in a way that annoys other people (чересчур умный, слишком умный; умничать
She was too clever by half - always correcting the teacher or coming back with a smart answer.

... умный, одаренный,

... умный, одаренный, разносторонний +
SMART Thesaurus: Aware
“erudite”: synonyms and related words:
All-rounder (a person who has many different types of skills and abilities) – разносторонний человек
==> Erudite, Generalist, Know-all, Latitudinarian, Smarty

ERUDITE (having or showing a lot of knowledge that is gained from academic study, from reading and studying; || containing a lot of knowledge that is known by very few people)

.....She is a scholarly and erudite person.
..... He's the author of an erudite book on Scottish history.
.... He is one of the most erudite scholars of Islam in modern times.
..... But he is also very erudite, scholarly, and has lots of fresh ideas.
..... She could turn any conversation into an erudite discussion. (OALD)

LEARNED {formal} (having a lot of knowledge because you have studied and read a lot)

.....a learned professor

POLYMATH{formal, approving}
(a person of wide knowledge or learning who knows a lot about many different subjects; a person of great and varied learning)
эрудит имя существительное:
эрудит (erudite, polymath, egghead, generalist, polyhistorian, polyhistor)
крупный ученый (savant, polymath)

энциклопедист, человек с энциклопедическими знаниями

..... a Renaissance polymath
.....Da Vinci was a well-known polymath.

More example sentences
..... James Lighthill was indeed a brilliant scientist; but he was also a polymath, with knowledge, insight and enthusiasm for the arts and humanities.
..... What I didn't know at the time was he was also a polymath, with a wide range of interests and a photographic memory.
..... In an age of polymaths who mastered all the disciplines, knew many languages, and wrote more than any modern can read, chronology, with its varied contents and technical difficulties, seemed the essence of scholarship.

GENERALIST
(someone who has a range of skills and knowledge; (someone who is) not specialized; someone with knowledge of many subjects, rather than detailed knowledge of one subject) -- универсал; эрудит; человек с широким образованием и кругом интересов; человек обширных знаний; специалист /эксперт широкого профиля
n. a person competent in several different fields or activities (opp. SPECIALIST).
a modern scholar who is in a position to acquire more than superficial knowledge about many different interests (Freq. 3)
..... a statistician has to be something of a generalist

.....Children of this age need specialist rather than generalist teachers. (CALD)
..... We need our managers to be generalists - people who understand the pressures of running a business. (CBED)
..... The state can no longer be governed by generalists; each policy area demands considerable expertise.

a person who knows a lot about many different subjects

1. Adept – знаток, эксперт, сведущий
3. Bookworm – книжный червь
4. Brain – умница, «голова»
5. Brainiak – умница, «голова»
6. Dabster – знаток, специалист
7. Dig – прилежный студент
8. Erudite – эрудит, ученый человек
9. Expert – знаток, специалист
8. Fancier – знаток чего-либо
9. Generalist – эрудит, человек обширных знаний
10. Genii, genius – гений, гениальная личность
11. Grinder – зубрила
12. Highbrow – 1. интеллектуал; человек, претендующий на интеллектуальность; 2. далекий от жизни ученый, интеллигент
13. Intellect – умнейший человек
14. Intelligence – мыслящее существо
15. Judge – ценитель, знаток
16. Know-all – всезнайка
17. Latitudinarian – человек широких взглядов
18. Literate – грамотный, образованный человек
19. Longhair – интеллектуал
20. Mage – мудрец
21. Mastermind – выдающийся ум
22. Master – spirit – человек выдающегося ума
23. Maven (paзг) – знаток, специалист
24. Maverick – человек с независимым мнением, инакомыслящий
25. Moralist – моралист, высоконравственный человек
26. Mug – зубрила
27. Muz(z) – зубрила
28. Natural – одаренный человек
29. Nerd – ...
30. Philosopher – человек с философским подходом к жизни
31. Polyglot – полиглот
32. Polymath – широкообразованный человек, крупный ученый
33. Prodigy – одаренный человек
34. Sadhu /ˈsɑːduː/ (a Hindu holy man, especially one who has chosen to live apart from society; a holy man, sage, or ascetic) – мудрец .....

35. Scholar – грамотей, знаток (razg)
36. Shark – блестящий знаток чего-либо
37. Sharp – знаток
38. Smarty – всезнайка
39. Solomon –мудрец
40. Special – талант, одаренный человек
41. Speculator – мыслитель
42. Sponge – человек, быстро усваивающий знания
43. Swot – зубрила
44. Talent – талант, одаренный человек
45. Thinker – мыслитель, философ
46. Virtuoso - талант, одаренный человек
47. Watcher – знаток, исследователь
48. Whiz-kid – одаренный человек
49. Wiseacre – мудрец, умник

1. Cocky – даровитый малый
2. Hotshot – даровитый перспективный малый
3.Pundit – ученый муж
4. Smart aleck – умный малый
5. Whig – ученый муж

1.Starlet – восходящая талантливая звезда
2. Bluestocking – ученая женщина, «синий чулок», педантка (ирон.).

smarty-pants {informal}
someone who wants to appear to be clever:
{as form of address}
.....Okay, smarty-pants, you tell me how to do it then.

smart alec
( also smart aleck) {informal}
› someone who tries to appear clever or who answers questions in a clever way that annoys other people

Don't be cute!

on the inside {informal}
› If someone is on the inside, they have a job or position in which they have special or secret information:
.....Who do we know on the inside who can help us? (CALD)

be no stranger to sth formal -- быть знакомым с чем-л. не понаслышке
› to be familiar with a particular experience or activity:
.....He is no stranger to hard work. (CALD)

alive to sth {UK} -- сознавать, отдавать себе отчет
› If you are alive to something, you are thinking about it or familiar with it:
.....I ski for the excitement, but I'm also always alive to the risks.(CALD)

Idioms meaning good (at

Idioms meaning good (at sth)
being good at something or simply being generally good.
"Ace" is the word I have in mind, unfortunately not an idiom.

the dog's bollocks
top of the heap
the cat's meow
nec plus ultra

icing on the cake
the cherry on top

king of the jungle
king of the mountain/king of the hill -- царь горы
lord of the manor
all that and a bag of chips

tag: выгода, свой интерес,

tag: выгода, свой интерес, ...
self-seeker - a person who places expediency above principle

opportunist

backscratcher - someone who is willing to trade favors or services for mutual advantage

bottom feeder - an opportunist who profits from the misfortunes of others

carpetbagger - an outsider who seeks power or success presumptuously; "after the Civil War the carpetbaggers from the north tried to take over the south"

wheeler dealer, hustler, operator - a shrewd or unscrupulous person who knows how to circumvent difficulties

selfish person - a person who is unusually selfish

timeserver - one who conforms to current ways and opinions for personal advantage

intransigent refusing to

intransigent
refusing to change your opinions, ways of behaving in a way that would be helpful to others