The main forms of this word are impose, imposing and imposition
see below

http://www.dcielts.com/daily-word/impose-ielts-word-of-the-day/

IELTS Word of the day Impose

IELTS Word of the day

Impose – IELTS word of the week

Today’s word from the Academic Word List is IMPOSE
The main forms of this word are impose, imposing and imposition

impose sth (on/upon sth/sb) — to (officially) introduce an unwelcome decision or ruling (e.g. a new law, rule, tax, punishment, etc.) and force it to be obeyed or received on someone; to force a group of people to accept something, or to give someone a punishment (e.g. fine, ban)

If someone in authority imposes a law, rule, punishment, tax etc, they force people to accept it.

Some common word combinations include:

impose a fine (on sb/sth) (for sth) (налагать штраф)
..........impose a fine on companies that pollute the atmosphere
..........Judges are imposing increasingly heavy fines for minor driving offences. (CALD)
…….The court imposed a £10,000 fine on the newspaper for printing the story. (Cambridge International Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs)

impose a tax on sb/sth (облагать налогом)
.......... A new tax was imposed on fuel. (OALD)
.......... Very high taxes have recently been imposed on cigarettes. (CALD)
.......... Inheriting money imposes new taxes on people.

impose a penalty on sb
..........The judge imposed the death penalty on both men. (CALD)
impose a ban on sb (налагать запрет, вводить запрет)
.......... impose a ban on
.................... persistent offenders
.................... on smoking — вводить запрет на курение
.......... The council/gvt/etc has imposed a ban on …
.................... on alcohol in the city parks.
.................... on the sale of handguns.
.................... on television ads aimed at the under-12s
.......... They are calling for the regulatory body to impose a ban on television ads aimed at the under-12s.

impose limitations / restrictions / constraints on sth (налагать ограничения)
..........The time limits are imposed on us by factors outside our control. (OALD)
..........They have imposed restrictions on trade with foreign companies. (MM)

impose a burden (on sb/sth) (to have a bad effect on sth or someone and to cause problems for them) — возлагать ответственность на кого-л., обременять, являться тяжелым бременем (also place a burden on sth/sb)
..........impose a burden on already over-worked teachers
..........This system imposes additional financial burdens on many people. (OALD)
..........This new tax is imposing an unfair burden on employers.

impose a hardship/strain etc (on sb/sth)
.........Military spending imposes a huge strain on the economy. (LDOCE) — являются тяжким бременем для экономики; ложатся тяжким бременем на экономику
.......... a person with a disability would, because of their disability, not be able to perform the work (thus it would impose a hardship on the employer to employ them).
.......... This requirement also would impose hardships on families and would be extremely difficult, perhaps impossible, to enforce.
.......... Without approval of the supplemental funds in April, we will be forced to take increasingly draconian measures which will impact Army readiness and impose hardships on our soldiers and their families.
.......... To reduce my benefits now would place a real hardship on me and my family. I ask you to honour the commitment made to teachers, and yes, ...
.......... Adherence to the Bylaw would impose a substantial hardship on the town.
.......... "The he Texas statute imposes a lifetime hardship on a discrete class of children not accountable for their disabling status. The stigma of illiteracy will mark them for the rest of their lives. By denying these children a basic education, we deny them the ability to live within the structure of our civic institutions, and foreclose any realistic possibility that they will contribute in even the smallest way to the progress of our Nation."

Also collocates with:
▪ curfew, embargo,moratorium, obligation, penalty, restriction, sanction

impose sth {values/opinions/wishes/beliefs/etc) (on/upon sth/sb) {FORCE TO ACCEPT ›: — to make someone accept the same opinions, wishes etc. as your own, to force someone to have the same ideas, beliefs etc as you; to force someone to accept a belief or way of living (навязывать что-л. кому-л, насаждать что-л.)

..........I wouldn't want to impose my views/moral values/beliefs/etc on anyone.
..........She didn't want to impose her values on her family. (OALD)
..........I don't want them to impose their religious beliefs on my children. (CLD)
..........Parents often impose their own moral values on their children.
…….Settlers often imposed their culture and religion on....
.................... on the peoples of the countries they conquered.
....................on the native people.

impose one's will (on/upon sb) — навязывать свою волю
..........It was noticeable how a few people managed to impose their will on the others. (OALD) (Syn: dictate one's will )

You should note the use of the preposition on in all the previous examples. Upon is also used but is slightly less common.

You should also note a more “spoken” use of the word IMPOSE (ON/UPON) {formal}: to expect or ask someone to do something for you that may give them extra work or trouble or to spend time with you, when it may not be convenient for them; to cause extra work for someone by asking them to do something that may not be convenient for them — навязываться, обременять кого-л. чем-л., затруднять кого-л, создавать кому-л. трудности:

......... “You must stay for lunch.” “Well, thanks, but I don't want to impose…” (OALD)
......... Are you sure it's all right for me to come tonight? I don't want to impose. (CALD)
.........They invited me to dinner, but I didn't like to impose. (MM)
.........I hope I'm not imposing by staying another night. (CD)

impose on sb (to make inconvenient, take advantage of; to cause inconvenience to someone or to force your presence on them when it is not wanted)
......... I don’t mean to impose on you but…/ I hate to impose on you, but… Here the meaning is that you are about to ask a favour, e.g.
.................. I hate to impose on you, but could I stay the night?
.................. Are you sure it's alright if I come and stay? I don't want to impose on you.
.........Please come and stay. You wouldn't be imposing on us at all. (MM)
.........Relatives imposed upon us when they stayed for a whole week.
.........She's always imposing on people - asking favours and getting everyone to do things for her. / She's always imposing on people for favors.
.........I think Alex imposes on you too much - he's perfectly capable of doing his own cooking and washing.

impose on sth to take unwarranted advantage of sth (by demanding their attention or commitment) (злоупотреблять, воспользоваться)

.........impose on sb's good nature
.........Everyone imposes on Dave's good nature/kindness (злоупотребляют его добротой)
.........She realized that she had imposed on Daves’s kindness.

impose oneself on sb (to force into the company or on the attention of another)
...impose oneself on others
.........I was worried that they would think I was imposing myself. (heinle)

IMPOSITION {countable usually sg} {formal} (an unfair or unreasonable thing that someone expects or asks you to do; something that someone expects or asks you to do for them, which is not convenient for you)
A thing that is imposed, in particular an unfair or unwelcome demand or burden.

.........I'd like to stay if it's not too much of an imposition. (OALD)
............ I know it's an imposition, but could I use your bathroom? (LDOCE)
............ I’d like to see you, if that wouldn’t be too much of an imposition.(OALD)
............ Some see the law as an unwanted imposition on their lives. (OALD)
.........this would be a significant imposition on employers

----------

Another form of the word that you should note is the combination self-imposed which is used to describe things that you have chosen for yourself. A self-imposed task, rule, duty, etc is one that you have made for yourself, force yourself to do rather than one that someone else forces you to do. Most often these things are negative / burdensome:

......... Many of these problems are self-imposed
......... She spent five years in self-imposed exile in Bolivia. (добровольная ссылка, добровольное изгнание)

The adjective imposing has a slightly different meaning/usage and is similar to striking/impressive. It is used most frequently in these combinations:

.........an imposing figure
......... an imposing building

------------------
http://www.dcielts.com/daily-word/impose-ielts-word-of-the-day/

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day

IELTS Word of the day