DELETED (2)

абсолютный ноль
Втр, 2004-11-02 02:09 — Vivi

абсолютный ноль - blind spot (something that you do not understand at all, often because you are not willing to try)

Maths used to be my blind spot at school. — Раньше я была абсолютный ноль (плавала) в математике.

see also
ни в зуб ногой

oppos. see
сильная сторона

==============
молчать не станет В КАРМАН??
Втр, 2005-01-04 13:25 — Vivi

молчать не станет/не промолчит/если что, молчать не станет
not be backward in coming forward (British & Australian, humorous)
to be confident and always ready to express an opinion

+++
not be backward in coming forward (British & Australian, humorous)
to be confident and always ready to express an opinion. If he doesn't like it, he'll tell you. He's not exactly backward in coming forward.
See also: backward, coming, forward

Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms © Cambridge University Press 1998

cut a swath

Сб, 2004-07-17 00:27 — Vivi

to cut a wide swathe -- выставлять напоказ; пускать пыль в глаза; красоваться, выпендриваться; создавать ажиотаж, шумиху
===================

брать количеством
use a shotgun approach

The large publishing companies use a shotgun approach, publishing many titles when profiting from the few successful ones. - Крупные издательства берут количеством, публикуя много наименований и получая прибыль лишь от нескольких удачных книг.
===================
добить
Ср, 2004-09-15 22:32 — Vivi

put the boot in (Br, informal)

to make a bad situation worse

I was broke by the time we'd paid the car installments and then she just put the boot by saying we needed more money to pay the bills. - У меня не было ни гроша к тому времени, когда я выплатил взносы за машину, а она меня добила, сказав, что нам еще нужны деньги, чтобы оплатить счета.

see also [final nail in the coffin]

Ср, 2004-12-29 16:26 — Vivi

see also [move in for the kill]
==========================
до точки

1) To the limit, to the extreme point (Brit) (as in довести до точки)
2) Thoroughly, down to the last detail (Am) (as in изучил контракт до точки, wouldn't it be better to say "до последней запятой"(he studied every comma in the contract)?

See also
[to the letter]
довести до точки - push sb over the edge
дойти до точки
Пт, 2004-07-02 16:59 — Vivi

To come to the end of one’s tether (Brit)
To reach the boiling point, reach the end of the rope (Am)

[at the end of one's rope] (desperate)
At this point I was almost to the hair pulling point. - В этом месте я уже чуть было не дошла до точки.
==================

о чем вы думали, когда ...?

Чт, 2004-08-05 00:33 — Vivi

What's the thinking behind ...?

What was your thinking behind smashing that shopwindow? - О чем вы думали, когда разбили эту витрину?

дать слабину
Чт, 2005-08-11 00:50 — Vivi

- budge, break up

go slack on

Standards of veracity thus go slack on the very occasions in which, ordinarily, they need the tightest rein

see also [сделать исключение из правил]

=============

send sb away with a flea in their ear - [послать подальше], прогнать, осадить к.-л.

scotch the snake
Чт, 2004-08-12 18:47 — Vivi

I have seen this idiom meaning 'do things by halves, do smth unsufficiently'. I'd like a more precise definition and an example if possible.

'To scotch' is 'to prevent' according to the info I stumbled across, therfore 'scotch the snake' means 'only to do half of what is possible to do; prevent the snake from biting instead of killing it' I'd translate it into Russian as 'принять полумеры'.

(!) тянуть клещами
Thu, 2005-05-05 16:27 — Guest

тянуть клещами -- вытягивать информацию из человека, который любит, когда его спрашивают, а не расказывает всё сразу.

Чт, 2005-05-05 09:29 — Anonymous (не проверено)
wild horses wouldn't drag it

wild horses wouldn't drag it from him (?)

снюхаться
Tue, 2005-09-20 08:40 — Vivi

снюхаться - take up with somebody/something (old-fashioned) - to become friendly with someone, especially someone who may influence you badly (LDOCE)

херить
херить - blow sth sky-high (to make something that someone is trying to achieve fail completely, often by telling people something which should have been a secret)
He blew the whole deal sky-high by telling the newspapers about it. - Он похерил всю наше сделку, растрепав о ней газетам. (CID)

see also
[have a big mouth]
[a big mouth]

play (merry) hell with sth informal (to stop something from working as it should)

— Vivi
drop ball on smth (AmE)

also поставить крест
============================
would just as soon - prefer to, wish - хотел бы (хотелось бы мне/ему/ей), скорее...

(1)I'd as soon go to another restaurant as wait for a table here. (Macmillan English)

(2)"Would you like to go out for dinner?" "I'd just as soon stay in - I'm not feeling very well." (Cambridge Advanced Learner's) - Ты пойдешь куда-нибудь пообедать? - Я скорее останусь - не очень хорошо себя чувствую.

(3) These people could afford to retire to Florida but they'd just as soon stay put.
(4) I'd just as soon not have to make this public.
(5) I'd just as soon you put that thing away.
(6) She'd just as soon throw your plate in your face as serve you. (Cobuild)
=============

stretch the length of sth
Mon, 2004-12-20 13:50 — Fenya
stretch the length of sth - простираться на всю длину
The mountains stretch the entire length of the country.(СALD)
====

seagull syndrome

Thu, 2004-07-08 13:38 — Vivi

The "seagull syndrome" - where the gullible, perhaps, are dumped upon from a great height - is another expression where an aerial assault is cited idiomatically.

From Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)

see also [fly in the ointment]
see also [Rain on smb’s parade]

на измене

Tue, 2004-08-24 10:09 — Vivi

быть на измене - have a bad trip

His hypothesis was that the frightful, disoriented, emotionally painful feelings of a bad trip reflect specific autobiographical incidents that find psychic outlet in the hallucinations which are then, content-wise, associated with these feelings... - Его гипотеза состоит в том, что страх, потеря ориентации и болезненные переживания в состоянии "измены" отображают отдельные случаи из биографии человека, которые находят психический выход в галлюцинациях. По своему содержанию, галлюцинации непосредственно связаны с такими переживаниями...

langered

Sun, 2004-08-08 00:55 — Vivi

drunk, intoxicated
пьяный, "убитый", "никакой"
also see [higher than a kite]
=================
дело пахнет керосином

Sat, 2004-07-17 00:41 — Vivi

this business stinks (there's something wrong with this whole affair)
this is a hanging matter
it smells of trouble
also пахнет жареным

=====================
держите меня семеро
Thu, 2006-04-27 22:55 — CXP
держите меня семеро, иначе я за себя не ручаюсь!— Vivi
I'm raving mad (and might make trouble)

see also [псих ненормальный]
==============
have kittens
Wed, 2004-12-15 01:10 — Vivi

have kittens -- (be very worried and upset) "икру метать"

When I told her I wanted to marry him she hearly had kittens. -- Когда я сказала, что хочу выйти за него замуж, она чуть не снеслась.

see also [рвать волосы на голове]
hat trick
Tue, 2004-12-07 12:11 — Vivi

HAT TRICK - три победы подряд

[Q] From Carol Farrell and others: “What is the origin of the term hat trick, used to describe a series of three victories in sports?”
[A] It comes from the English game of cricket and refers to a bowler who takes three wickets with three successive balls. For those more familiar with baseball, this is an impressive achievement, similar to a baseball pitcher striking out three batters in a row, but much less common. It seems to have been the custom in the nineteenth century for such a paragon of the art to be awarded a new hat by his club as a mark of his success. However, it is sometimes also said that the phrase alludes to a distinctly more plebeian reward in which the bowler was permitted to take his hat around the crowd for a collection (not necessarily a bowler hat, of course: that was named after a couple of completely different chaps, Messrs Thomas and William Bowler, hatmakers). Hat trick was first recorded in print in the 1870s, but has since been widened to apply to any sport in which the person competing carries off some feat three times in quick succession, such as scoring three goals in one game of soccer.

www.worldwidewords.com

28/o7.2008
по мелочи +

беспельтюха
Tue, 2004-08-03 02:34 — Vivi
It's a funny way of calling an accident-prone person. I wouldn't swear on the Bible I know the exact meaning of this Russian word, at least I heard this on one or more occasion addressed to myself by mom 'Sprained your ankle? Again? My, why are you so accident-prone!' - "Опять подвернула ногу? Ну что ты за беспельтюха такая!"
======================
"баян" - a stale joke that appears on forums regularly

see also [с бородой]
---------

=================

тырить
Wed, 2004-08-25 11:41 — Vivi

тырить (to do petty thieving) - scoff, pinch

стануть
утащить
скоммуниздить
=========
baksheesh
Thu, 2004-07-29 13:47 — Vivi
взятка
earn baksheesh - получить взятку

Everywhere you find people who want to earn baksheesh in exchange for some service - Во всем мире найдутся люди, которые хотят, чтобы их "подмазали" в обмен на их услуги.

see also [отблагодарить]
[kickback]
------
— Samantha
I assume 'bakshessh' is being used as another word for money?

Пт, 2004-07-30 06:13 — Vivi
I think it's closer to a bribe which can amount to a sum of money or some other valuable thing. Noblemen in old Russia took Russian wolfhound puppies or thoroughbred horses along with money gifts as 'baksheesh'(bribes).
===========================
=================

башка
Sat, 2004-07-17 02:12 — Vivi

thinking mug
котелок

Чт, 2004-07-22 19:53 — Samantha
Is this referring simply to a

Is this referring simply to a device used for thinking?

We would more commonly say 'thinking cap' then. :)

Пт, 2004-07-23 07:01 — Vivi
'Thinking cap' is a device you supposedly put on when thinking (humorously).

Here I think 'thinking mug' refers to your head, (as in noddle, or pate). I have also heard of 'mug shots' which are taken when a criminal is taken into custody.

[put on one's thinking cap]
============================
западло

Thu, 2004-08-05 18:55 — Vivi
сделать западло - victimize; stab in the back

see also [обьегорить]
see also [подкузьмить]
see also [подложить свинью]
see also [put-up job]
================
совать палки в колеса (оставлено [вставлять палки в колеса])

Thu, 2004-08-12 11:37 — Vivi

put a spoke in one's wheel

queer one's pitch

see also [вставлять палки в колеса]
see also [take the wind out of one's sails]
see also [clip one's wings]
=======
подкузьмить

объегорить
11:49 — Vivi
outfox, outwit
see also [подкузьмить]
see also [сделать западло]
see also [подложить свинью]

====

прищемить кому-л хвост
Mon, 2004-12-06 23:12 — Vivi
прищемить кому-л хвост

have smb by short hair

have/get smb by short hair (and curlies) -- прищемить кому-либо хвост, "он у меня вот где" (и характерный жест сжимание кулака)

see also
[have sb over a barrel]
[put on the spot]
[завинтить гайки]

— Starfish (не проверено)
Еще хотел спросить: прижать к ногтю как будет?
====================

Убрала следующее:

за ним не станет
Thu, 2006-02-09 08:21 — Vivi

за ним не станет/за ней не станет - make short/light work of something (to do something very quickly and easily)

see also [don't let grass grow under one's feet]

==========

гражданский брак - common law marriage (BE)
Syn. незарегестрированный брак
See also
[сожитель(ница)], сожительствовать
=============================
зачистка
Tue, 2004-11-02 19:11 — Vivi
зачистка - purge
political purge
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

to purge (the party/government) - проводить зачистку (нежелательных элементов)
the population suffered immensely during the Great Terror of the 1930s, during which Stalin and his henchmen purged the Party of 'enemies of the people'.

— Fenya
Зачистка vs чистка
I think it's more likely to be "[b]чистка (партийных рядов)[/b]". "Зачистка" is sth associated with military operations(sweep/mopping up operation ).

be subjected to purge can also be translated as [b]подвергаться репрессиям[/b]

In 1930s millions of Russians have been subjected to purge. - В 30-х годах 20-го столетия миллионы русских подверглись репрессиям.
=================
ЗАБИТЬ
-- Vivi
let it pass
Она знала, что что то неладно, но решила забить на это. - She knew something went wrong but let it pass.
========================

положить болт
Thu, 2004-07-08 05:23 — Vivi

see [забить]

— Tatiana
а может кто-нибудь подсказать, когда и в каком контексте в русском языке впервые возник/ли обороты "забить болт" и "положить болт"?
спасибо за ответ

— Vivi

На одном из сайтов нашла следующее: На АЗЛК болты молотками забивали в машины (если плохо закручиваеться). То есть в принципе - "разрубить Гордиев узел" или одним махом решить надоедливую проблему, если с ней лениво возиться.

Про "положить болт" см. выше. Первые случаи употребления выяснить трудно, но может кто-то и проводил частотный анализ разговорных слов и выражений, до того как стал общедоступным

— garans
положить болт - такого я не слышал,
вот "забить болт" - слышал

Болты, вообще-то, закручивают. Если с силой забить, то потом уже не выкрутишь, так как сломаешь резьбу (она сомнётся).

Поэтому и говорят "забить болт" и сокращают до "забить".

А уж "положить" - это ассоциируется с другой вещью.

— Vivi
I've heard the phrase myself.
Literally: They put a bolt across it", prob'ly it's a figure of speech with more obscene undertones to it since one could make a wild guess that a 'bolt' is a male organ resembling this particular component of machinery; therefore 'putting a male organ across smth' definitely suggests 'not to give a f**k about smth, forget it, let it slide'.
===================
=====================

за троих
Wed, 2004-09-22 17:38 — Vivi
see [за семерых]
Он ест за троих. - When it comes to eating, he's a host in himself.
(see also [прорва])
======
за семерых
Wed, 2004-09-22 03:37 — Viv
(работать и т.д.) за семерых - be a host in himself

He's a host in himself - Он работает (ест, пьет и т.д) за семерых.

see also [за троих]
also работать (есть) за двоих
=======================
========

(e/u) nail one's colours to the mast
Wed, 2004-12-01 15:23 — Vivi

to publicly state one's opinions about a subject - официально заявить (?)

The fact that Beckham has nailed his colours to the mast by assuring that his future lies in Madrid and that he will be joined in the Spanish capital by wife.
=========

put on the spot

put on the spot - [завинтить гайки]
put sb on the spot = put someone in a precarious position, under sharp pressure, and in danger of great failure or embarrassment if he doesn’t produce successful results within a short time

example
Road hauliers to be put on the spot over safety at work.(newspaper headline)- Владельцам грузового транспорта закрутят гайки из-за несоблюдения правил безопасности на рабочих местах.
see also [прищемить кому-л хвост]
========
!!!!!!Пнд, 2004-10-04 04:58 — Amigo_
Еще вариант: западло - pain in ass

Пнд, 2004-10-04 05:13 — Vivi

AFAIK, 'pain in the ass', 'pain in the neck' refer to bothersome or trouble-making people/things.

This car is a real pain in the ass. - Эта машина - сплошной геморрой. (This car is too much trouble, bcs it burns too much oil or breaks down often, etc)
===========

Удалено 19 ноября
как не соответсвующее тематике

THE VERB ГЛАГОЛ

ДЕЙСТВИТЕЛЬНЫЙ ЗАЛОГ (ACTIVE VOICE) - подлежащее выполняет действие (я делаю операцию)

СТРАДАТЕЛЬНЫЙ ЗАЛОГ (PASSIVE VOICE) - действие направлено на подлежащее (я подвергаюсь операции (дословный перевод) - меня оперируют (литературный перевод))
Active Voice (Активный залог)

Группы
Времена Неопределенные
Indefinite Длительные
Continuous Совершенные
Perfect Совершенные длительные
Perfect Continuous
Настоящее
Present I take I am taking I have taken I have been taking
Прошедшее
Past I took I was taking I had taken I had been taking
Будущее
Future I Shall/Will take I Shall/Will be taking I Shall/Will have taken I Shall/Will have been taking
Будущее в прошедшем
Future in the past I Should/would take I Should/would be taking I Should/would have taken I Should/Would have been taking
Passive Voice (Страдательный залог)
Настоящее
Present I am taken I am being taken I have been taken -
Прошедшее
Past I was taken I was being taken I had been taken -
Будущее
Future I shall/will be taken - I shall/will been taken -
Будущее в прошедшем
Future in the past I should/would be taken - I should/would have been taken -

ПЕРЕХОДНЫЕ И НЕПЕРЕХОДНЫЕ ГЛАГОЛЫ
переходные глаголы могут при себе иметь прямое дополнение, т.е. выражать действие, которое непосредст-венно переходит на какое-нибудь лицо или предмет
непереходные глаголы не могут иметь при себе такого прямого дополнения
в английском языке очень часто один и тот же глагол может употребляться в качестве переходного и непере-ходного
непереходные глаголы употребляются только в действительном залоге
непереходные глаголы: to follow, to watch, to approach
==============================