DELETED (3)

circle the wagons

Втр, 2004-08-03 02:05 — Vivi

встать как один (на защиту), сплачиваться

'Tech firms circle the wagons in fight against commercial spam' - IT компании обьединяются, чтобы противостоять спаму

While browsing I found this idiom 'circle the wagons'. As far as I understand people circle the wagons to protect them from attacks from outside which probably suits the idea of togetherness conveyed by 'united we stand...'
----------------------------------------------------
Random House Unabridged Dictionary

CIRCLE THE WAGONS transitive verb:
a) (in early U.S. West) to form the wagons of a covered-wagon train into a circle for defensive purposes, as against an Indian attack.
b) Slang. to prepare for an all-out, unaided defensive fight.
-------------------------------------------------
see also
united we stand, divided we fall

==================

gormless creature
Вс, 2005-03-20 00:04 — Vivi

gormless creature - лох

a mug ("лох") - someone who can be easily fooled into doing things he or she wouldn't normally do

See
лохотрон
развод на бабки

=============
go commando (нуждается в редактировании)

Вс, 2004-08-15 23:35 — Milanya

go commando - Not wearing underwear.

Etymology
*To not wear underwear (the reason for this really revolves around the fact that commando missions are so intense that you supposedly shit your pants...thus if you don't wear underwear during a commando mission, you basically test yourself in the attempt to ensure that you don't crap yourself during the mission).

A: "Looks like Dave's goin' commando today!"
D (in camoflauge & aviator shades) : "Hey, I'm wearing underwear today."

from www.gocommando.com/about/
Spell it gocommando, go-commando or go commando, the verb/expression "go commando"/"going commando" means, simply, to not wear underwear.

Its origin is elusive. The implication is that to not wear underwear is a trait attributable to commandoes, who presumably don't wear any. After all, if a commando goes behind enemy lines for weeks or months, water, food, communications and munitions - the tools of their trade and survival - are of greater importance than a change of clothes.

see also
[as naked as sb's mother bore him]

===============
doctor (records, books, etc)

Ср, 2004-12-01 13:09 — Vivi

to doctor (records, books, evidence) - подчистить; подделать (док-ты, улики, бухгалтерские книги); фальсифицировать: подтасовывать

Meaning: to falsify or change in such a way as to make favorable to oneself

In particular, he said that he never alleged that the Governor's staff "doctored" the records, as the London Times reported he said this morning. - В частности, он сказал, что никогда не утверждал, что якобы служащие губернатора намудрили что-то с документами (подчистили что-то в документах), как утверждала газета "Лондон Таймс" сегодня утром.

see also
cook the books
tamper with evidence

двойная бухгалтерия

=============
кусок обсуждения (статья "в полном разгаре")
be in full cry

LDCE: eagerly demanding or attacking
CIDI:to criticize someone or something in a noisy and eager way
OALD: talking or shouting loudly and in an enthusiastic way

Сб, 2004-08-28 07:04 — Vivi
yes

I think I screwed that one up, but I copy-pasted most of the first idioms never taking the trouble of checking them properly :(

So, I'll have to delete the icorrect entry.
=========================

держи карман шире

I'll see you damned / blowed first

see also
ищи ветра в поле
=========
Удален кусок обсуждения
"не все коту масленица" (after dinner comes the reckoning) is close to 'one must pay for everything; you've got to pray the price'. In Russian there are quite a lot of instructions meaning the same thing - любишь кататься, люби и саночки возить (if you like sledging, you must like towing the sledge) - for one instance.

Вс, 2004-08-29 07:27 — Fenya
re масленица

1. I'm afraid "не все коту масленица" doesn't exactly belong here, bcs it doesn't suggest any idea of mutual help. Normally, it's used only to mean that all good things come to an end, no pleasures last for ever, the opposite being "будет и на нашей улице праздник".

2. These aren't actually instructions - i'd rather call them SAYINGS.

3. Could you consider making a stand-alone Proverbs/Sayings unit?

Вс, 2004-08-29 10:40 — Vivi
sure thing

These aren't actually instructions - i'd rather call them SAYINGS. 'Instructions' were used jocularly here, of course, they are sayings.

3. I think we probably could categorise those under a different name, but after a certain amount of collected sayings, proverbs and adages. We can easily find them in the general alphabetic catalogue now.

Пнд, 2004-09-06 17:19 — Vivi
full version

Не всё коту масленица, будет и великий пост. - Every day is not Sunday.
===============

хвалить себя

Втр, 2004-08-03 08:01 — Vivi

Is хвалить себя (push oneself forward) interchangeable with хвастаться (boast about smth)? I have my doubts.

see also
заниматься саморекламой

зачистка - purge

political purge

to purge (the party/government) - проводить зачистку (нежелательных элементов)

the population suffered immensely during the Great Terror of the 1930s, during which Stalin and his henchmen purged the Party of 'enemies of the people'.

Зачистка vs чистка

I think it's more likely to be "чистка (партийных рядов)"Зачистка" is sth associated with military operations(sweep/mopping up operation ).

be subjected to purge can also be translated as подвергаться репрессиям

In 1930s millions of Russians have been subjected to purge. - В 30-х годах 20-го столетия миллионы русских подверглись репрессиям.
shiner
Пнд, 2004-11-01 18:14 — Milanya
фонарь (под глазом)
black eye
got a real shiner from stumbling into the door.
шевелить поршнями
Пнд, 2004-08-09 01:22 — Vivi

stir one's stumps (used to tell someone to look sharp, shake a leg.)
=======

serve one's turn
Пнд, 2006-04-03 13:48 — Vivi
serve one's turn - отслужить свое
‹ separate the wheat from the chaff вверх set sb's teeth on edge ›
==============
окаянный
Втр, 2004-08-31 13:39 — Vivi

Evokes speculation, this one. I have tried a lot of explanations on in search of the origin and that's what I came up with - "окаянный" (okayanny) originates from 'Cain', therefore it can be translated like of the brand of Cain.

Who can carry out an in-depth research? Everyone's invited.

see also
curse sb with bell, book, and candle

====================

открещиваться .

Пнд, 2004-12-06 23:14 — Vivi

repudiate
1. To reject the validity or authority of: “Chaucer... not only came to doubt the worth of his extraordinary body of work, but repudiated it” (Joyce Carol Oates).
2. To reject emphatically as unfounded, untrue, or unjust: repudiated the accusation.
3. To refuse to recognize or pay: repudiate a debt.

1. To disown (a child, for example).
2. To refuse to have any dealings with.
========================

точка в точку

Пт, 2004-07-02 18:31 — Vivi

Exactly, word for word (Brit)
to the letter (Brit Am)
to a T (?) (= exactly right)

Perfectly (Am) - I have my doubts as to its being equivalent to 'word for word', but it remains to be seen.