В работе

come to a head (also bring

come to a head
(also bring sth to a head)
› If something comes to a head or someone brings something to a head, a situation reaches a point where something must be done about it:
…..Things hadn't been good between us for a while and this incident just brought it to a head.(CALD)
If a problem or disagreement comes to a head, it becomes so bad that you have to start dealing with it.
обостряться, достигать критической точки
?? стать заметным, проявиться, обозначиться
мед. назревшая головка (нарыва)
to come /to draw/ to a head, to gather head - назреть (о нарыве) [см. тж. 2)]
2) критическая точка, перелом; кризис
to come to a head - достигнуть критической стадии [см. тж. 1)]
trouble coming to a head - беда, которая вот-вот разразится
to bring smth. to a head - а) обострять что-л.; вызывать кризис; б) доводить что-л. до конца, заканчивать что-л.

Brought to a head
Just as the accumulation of pus increases internal pressure inside a pimple, until it is brought to a head and almost ready to burst, so a human, civil or political situation can come to a head and end in crisis and climax.
...The conflict between my two sons came to a head when they began to disagree who should inherit the house. ...The conflict in City Hall came to a head when the greed of developers began to exceed the limits set by environmental protectionists.
...Tension in the Gulf Region came to a head when oil reserves began to be threatened.
. ( == >coming to a head, come to a head)
Come to a head Just a s a pimple comes to a head, approaching the peak of pressure and nearing the breaking point. ...Pressure on theFinance Minister is coming to a head, and it is rumored that he will be forced to resign any day now.
...Tension between labor and management is coming to a head, and the unions are threatening to go out on strike. .......The conflict between communist party factions is coming to a head and threatening to break the unity of the left wing of the coalition government apart. ### == > brought to a head

coming to a head
Leading up to a breaking point or climax.
...Storm pressure over the Atlantic is coming to a head and gale warnings have been announced in Newfoundland. ...Political pressures had been coming to ahead for some time before the President was impeached by the Parliament.
...The stress between Marion and I had been coming to a head for months before we finally had a violent fight and
broke up for good.
( == >come to a head, brought to a head; comi g to the boiling point)
'Course. She's just the same now as she was before. Worse.' That wasn't true. Nothing could be worse than before, because before it had gone on for ages and it had all come to a head on the Dead Duck Day, but he wanted to make sure that Will knew it was serious. (About a Boy)

coming to a head
Ending in a crisis.
Climaxing, building up to something, and then having it end.

.....The health care issue is coming to a head. We really have to come to an agreement soon.
.....Start a diary and keep a written record of all incidents. You may need this detailed evidence later if things come to a head but more likely it will act as a strong disincentive on your bully. (Building Cinfidence for Dummies)

Coming to the boiling point
Coming to a head; ready to break out into conflict. ...You had better be careful what you say next, because my
temper is coming to a boiling point, and I am liable to knock your block off. ...Tempers are coming to a boiling
point in cross-border negotiations, and violence about to flare out again if we can’t get the delegates to simmer down and work out a compromise. ...The conflict between the Irish Republicans and the English forces is coming to a boiling point and both sides are preparing for further outbreaks of violence.

at the breaking point

harbor the clues to sth
.....Statistical mechanics harbors the clues to understanding the Second Law.

..... Years later, I realized that the lecturer was right in claiming that statistical mechanics harbors the clues to the understanding of entropy, and that without statistical mechanics, there is no way one can understand what lies beneath the concept of entropy and the Second Law.

take one's life in one's

take one's life in one's (own) hands
(to risk death knowingly; put yourself in a very dangerous situation)
— ставить свою жизнь под угрозу; подвергать свою жизнь риску (часто сознательно)
….. You take your life in your hands every time you cross this road. (LDOCE)

hold promise to be likely to

hold promise
to be likely to succeed; to show potential for success
быть многообещающим, обнадеживать, вселять надежду (на), сулить/открывать/ .. (большие/...) перспективы/ возможности для...,
The new drug holds promise for helping to control addiction. Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms
..... She argued that animal cloning held promise for medical research, including the development of new drugs and animal organs for transplantation, and she urged lawmakers not to restrict promising science when proscribing human cloning. From Dolly to Stem Cells p34

..... The lanky, razor-sharp 18-year-old Scottish tennis player Andrew Murray dropped out of Wimbledon after a valiant struggle yesterday, but - for the crowd that had massed to cheer its new hero - the finish held little sting: Murray's defeat was of the unusual kind that holds the tantalising promise of victories to come. (Even bitter defeat held promise of victories to come)
..... Voluntary activities, therefore, offer much greater promise for increasing happiness while avoiding adaptation effects.

nothing is sacred (with

nothing is sacred (with sb)
(it’s OK to do or say anything) -- нет ничего святого; не иметь ничего святого

..... My mom always says that nothing is sacred with my brothers and me. We’ll do anything!.
..... Nothing is sacred with you two.

watch one's back
(be cautious; protect oneself from others) быть осторожным, быть настороже, проявлять осторожность

..... I always watch my back around Jenna because I don’t trust her.
..... You’d better watch your backs.

this means war
expression of anger, meaning that an attack is planned in exchange for another attack

..... Every time my sister gets mad she says, “This means war,” but she never does anything to me.

If it's a war you want, it's a war you'll get.

.....You're not going to get away with this. If it's a war you want, it's a war you'll get.

pick a side
(choose who one will support during an argument or fight) -- определиться, на чьей ты стороне; сделать выбор, на чьей ты стороне; выбрать сторону (...)

..... Our parents wanted us to pick a side during their divorce, but we said no.

on ice --the same as won;

on ice
--the same as won; sure to be won; with every likelihood of being won
Away for safekeeping or later use; aside.
You will have to put your vacation plans on ice until your debts are///
The city decided to put the plans for a new stadium on ice until they can raise more money … Idioms and examples

-------------
When something is figuratively put "on ice," it is preserved and protected, and out of sight.
This combination can be used in good and bad ways.
Example 1: "Having scored its fourth goal, England's victory was on ice." This means victory was preserved.
Example 2: "Once England scored its fourth goal, South Africa was put on ice." This means that the South Africa team was disposed of, and its chances of victory were put out of reach.
Example 3: "The report on police corruption was put on ice by a nervous mayor." This implies that the report in question was permanently placed where the public would not see it.

As you can see, a single idiom can be used in various ways... but the meanings are all similar. It's simply a matter of applying the idiom to the circumstances of the sentence, otherwise known as the context.

...-- "на мази", Дело верное, гарантированный, имеющий все шансы быть успешно реализованным, имеющийся в запасе, имеющийся в резерве, находящийся в заключении, обеспеченный, отложенный до времени
-- "без дураков", "верняк", без права общения, в запасе, недоступный, недосягаемый, ожидающий предложений о работе (выступлениях, участии в постановке), "в заморозке", "верное дело",
запертый в тюрьме, надменный

(one's) best bet (number one

(one's) best bet (number one option; best option) — лучше всего...
Your best bet is to do sth — Лучше всего тебе ...

It’s okay to look in the newspaper for jobs, but your best bet is to ask people directly.

can't do enough
XXXXX (XXXXX) —

XXXXX

have/keep/leave the/one's

have/keep/leave the/one's options open
› to wait before making a choice; to avoid making a decision now so that you still have a choice in the future
........ I'm going to keep my options open while I find out about college courses abroad. (CALD)
........ At the moment I'm keeping my options open and applying for as many different jobs as possible. (OALD)
........ It may be sensible to leave the options open for the time being and make a final decision later.
не делать решительных шагов; не принимать окончательного решения; не торопить события (о принятии окончательного решения); оставлять вопрос открытым
take your time

at source (at the point of

at source
(at the point of origin or issue:
at the place or the point that something comes from or begins) --
в истоке, в зародыше;
? на начальных стадиях, на ранней стадии
..... It is better to deal with such problems at source. (OALD)
..... reduction of pollution at source
..... the problem can solved if we prevent it at source by providing appropriate health education.
..... waste control at source -- обезвреживание сточных вод в месте их образования (напр. предочистка на заводе)
waste collection at source -- сбор отходов в месте их возникновения
separation at source -- сортировка мусора в месте его сбора
BrE
..... Is your salary taxed at source {= by your employer}? (OALD)
..... Is your pension taxed at source (=before it is paid to you)? (LDOCE)

More example sentences
By preventing pollution at source, conserving water and restoring valuable nutrients to nature's lifecycle, the WCT's virtues are attracting converts around the world.
While industrial pollution can be controlled at source, automobile emissions can become uncontrollable.
The reduction of refuse at source is vital and the council must challenge those responsible to achieve acceptable levels.

maven Whether it's in

maven
Whether it's in fashion, or food, or forensic science, someone who really knows his stuff about a topic is a maven, or a person particularly skilled in the field.

The word maven comes from the Yiddish meyvn, meaning "one who understands." But to be a maven you have to more than just understand a topic, you have to know its ins and outs. Often mavens are the people that you turn to as experts in a field. You don't become a maven overnight. That kind of expertise comes with an accumulation of knowledge over the years.

DEFINITIONS OF: maven
someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field

Synonyms:
ace, adept, champion, genius, hotshot, mavin, sensation, star, superstar, virtuoso, whiz, whizz, wiz, wizard

Types:
track star
a star runner

Type of:
expert
a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully

the job/matter in hand UK

the job/matter in hand UK
(US the job/matter at hand)
› the job or matter that is important at the present moment:
..... Could you just concentrate on the job in hand? (CALD)
.....If we could return to the matter in hand, we can discuss other issues later. (CALD)

<.........> wave a magic wand

<.........>
wave a magic wand взмахнуть волшебной палочкой
волшебство
wish I could wave a magic wand over London and get everyone to settle down and take stock.

(every/any) Tom, Dick, and/or Harry {cliché; not necessarily males; fixed order} (everyone without discrimination; an ordinary person/all ordinary people) — всякий, каждый; первый встречный, каждый встречный-поперечный, первый встречный-поперечный; обычный, заурядный человек; все/каждый кому не лен; любой (рядовой) обыватель; кто попало; неизвестно кто
.....You'd better get a qualified electrician to sort this out - you don't want any Tom, Dick, or Harry messing around with your electrics.

Where there's smoke there's fire
A proverb meaning that some evidence of a problem probably indicates that there really is a problem.

Example: I think there is something wrong at the old house on the corner. The police are there again. Where there's smoke there's fire.
(thefreedictionary.com)

for all the wrong

for all the wrong reasons
It's so easy to get caught up in a rut and stay for all the wrong reasons. I long for peace and enjoy a certain amount of privacy. Are you out there??

He didn’t respond for a moment. Instead he pulled off his glasses and wiped them with a handkerchief. Always carrying linen handkerchiefs was one of those anachronistic little habits of his that she found so endearing. Sometimes Nicholas reminded her of a gentleman bachelor from an earlier, more innocent time. A time when men would stand up if a woman walked into the room.

“Maybe we should look at the bright side of all this,” he said.
“Think of the publicity we’ve gotten. Now the whole world knows the Crispin Museum exists.”
“But for all the wrong reasons. They know us as the museum with murder victims in our basement.” She felt a fresh pulse of cold air blow in through the vent, and shivered in her sweater. “I keep wondering what else we’re going to find in this building. Whether there’s another shrunken head stuck in that ceiling up there, or another Madam X bricked in behind this wall. How could this happen without the curator knowing about it?” She looked at Robinson. “It had to be him, didn’t it? Dr. Scott-Kerr. He was in charge here all those years, so he must have been the one.”(Keepsake)

Her reasons for marrying him had not been unselfish either, she had gotten pregnant and been afraid to face the consequences alone. And even though she had thought she loved him, he had never deceived her by claiming to love her-she had deceived herself into believing he did. They had married each other for all the wrong reasons, and the marriage had been doomed from the start.(McNaught, Judith: Paradise)

'Never mind.' She lay back in the piled pillows and crossed her arms over her face. She talked, muffled, through soft flesh. 'If you must know, I didn't come to Zurich for you. Whoever you might have turned out to be. Though you turned out to be much dearer than I had ever imagined an American could be. Gentle Heart.'
Thanks,' I said.
'I'm sorry if you're disappointed.'
'We could forget the little accident in my room, you know.'
I could see her head shaking behind her arms. 'Not me. I should really be grateful to that naked fat girl. Because I wa« coming up to your room for all the wrong reasons.'
'What do you mean by that?'
'I wasn't doing it for you. Or me.'
Who, then?'
'For Miles Fabian,' she said bitterly. 'I was going to have the most blatant, sexy, public affair with you anyone could imagine - to show him—'
To show him what?'
To show him I didn't care a penny's worth for him any-more. That I could be as fickle and callous as he was.' She was weeping now behind her arms. It had turned out to be my night for feminine tears. (Nightwork)

~~ до оскомы, до оскомины;

~~ до оскомы, до оскомины; набить оскомину
Ad nauseam is a Latin term for a discussion that has continued so long that it has continued "to {the point of} nausea". For example, the sentence "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam" signifies that the topic in question has been discussed extensively, and that those involved in the discussion have grown tired of it.
to the point of tedium.
That phrase, more than any other, seemed to sum up the feelings of the nation and was repeated to the point of tedium.

be a great one for sth
› to enjoy or do something a lot:
.......He's a great one for getting other people to do his work for him, old Peter!
(CALD)

... lean on sb To put

lean on sb
To put pressure on someone, esp with violence or the threat of it --прессануть кого-л., прессовать кого-л., надавить на кого-л.
.....And he thinks he can lean on me!
.....Several restaurants and clubs were being leaned on (1950s+)

to try to make someone do what you want by threatening or persuading them
.......We may have to lean on them a little if we want our money. (CALD)
..... The Prime Minister’s been leaning pretty heavily on her to resign. (MM)

run checks/tests (on sb/sth)
run a check on sb

Interpretation
run a check on sb
run a check (on sb/sth)
2. ► to look through records to find out facts about someone or something; to find out information about someone in order to be certain that they have not done anything illegal -- пробить

..... He was stopped by the police in his car and they ran a check on him.
..... We run background checks on all prospective employees.

to examine someone or something in order to get information, for example to find out what something is or whether there is a problem

..... The doctor wanted to run a few tests on him.

Related
[get a line on sb]

small-time
adj disapproving
› not very successful or important: мелкий, мелковатый, несущественный

ca small-time crook

a small-time theatre

a small-timer < (мелочь, незначительная фигура в какой-л. области)

› The police are arresting the small-timers when they should be going for the ringleaders.

----------------------
wouldn't you like to know?
informal
Used to express one’s intention to keep something secret despite another’s curiosity:

‘You’re loaded, aren’t you, Bella?’ ‘Wouldn’t you like to know?’

More example sentences
‘How did he get out?’ Aubrey smirked. ‘Wouldn't you like to know?’
‘Where are you going?’ asked Pete. ‘Wouldn't you like to know?’ she said, heading for the door.

It isn't meant as an actual question; the person already knows that you want to know, and they are flaunting the fact that they aren't going to tell you, thus feeling superior.
----
It's basically them mocking you. Like, "Wouldn't you like to know?" is them taunting you- "I know something you don't know".
на кудыкину гору
твое-то какое дело
а тебе не все равно

---------
check out with
..... It seems this is just another liberal “fact” which doesn't check out with reality.
... whose alibi doesn't check out, with the knowledge that his meeting with the owner .

be spoiling for a fight
› to be very eager to fight or argue:
.....Local councillors are spoiling for a fight over plans to close two village schools.

(up) to the

(up) to the hilt
{Informal}
(to the maximum extent or degree; to the limit; fully, completely, totally, entirely, wholly; as much as possible or to the highest level possible)
— вполне, целиком, полностью. целиком и полностью. вовсю;
≈под завязку, ≈по горлышко, ≈по самое некуда, ≈по самое не хочу, до отказа; до последнего
≈ с головой, по горло, по уши
Also, up to the hilt.
››››››››››
Something that is done (up) to the hilt is done completely and without any limits:

Example 1: ....
Example 2: ....

to play the role to the hilt.
mortgaged (up) to the hilt -- полностью заложено
The estate/the farm/etc was mortgaged (up) to the hilt.
support/defend/back somebody (up) to the hilt-- стоять за кого-л. горой, полностью поддерживать; защищать до последнего
.....I'm backing the PM to the hilt on this. (LDOCE)
..... I'm backing the prime minister to the hilt. — Я полностью поддерживаю премьер-министра.
..... That's all right, Freddy, I'll back you up to the hill. (J. Aldridge, The Statesman's Game) — Ладно, Фредди, я буду стоять за вас горой.
..... Captain Shotover: "It's a dangerous thing to be married right up to the hilt, like my daughter's husband. The man is at home all day, like a damned soul in hell." (B. Shaw, Heartbreak House) — Капитан Шотовер: "Опасное это дело - увязнуть в браке с головой, как, например, муж моей старшей дочери. Он целый день торчит дома, словно грешник в аду."
.....The fact is that the defence charges against the Grand Jury system not only were proved to the hilt but did not require proof. (G. Marion, The Communist Trial) — Тот факт, что члены Большого жюри подбирались со специальной целью, был полностью доказан защитой; более того, он и не нуждался в доказательствах!

The estate was mortgaged up to the hilt in the thirties when farming wasn't paying. — В тридцатых годах, когда фермерство было убыточным, имение было полностью заложено.

with nothing lacking
............ played the role to the hilt
............These are some of the best films on friends and are sure to entertain you to the hilt.

For (X)ed to the hilt, the idea is comparing the (X) or whatever thing allows you to do or use (X) to a sword, where the area from the tip to the hilt is the entire usable, functional area, so you have made the absolute maximum usage possible of the thing in question.
Being mortgaged to the hilt means that you have gotten the largest mortgage possible, you are at the absolute limit of your creditworthiness, and you couldn't possibly carry any more debt without sinking.
Being mortgaged to the teeth would mean that you are prepared with more mortgages than any person would ever consider reasonable. I would have to assume that the one who is "mortgaged to the teeth" is prepared to issue mortgages, but honestly the "to the teeth" metaphor is such a bad fit for the idea of mortgages that it's hard to make sense of it.
More likely the intent behind the expression was something like mortgaged up to the eyebrows, which, much like to the hilt, would mean basically to the maximum extent possible or perhaps even a bit more, where the ability to pay off the debt is actually in question.

________More example sentences
Mortgaged up to the hilt, the builder has not declared any intention to bid for the company.
Once again, Middle Britain is mortgaged to the hilt, spurred by the lowest interest rates in 38 years.
He has mortgaged his country to the hilt for military equipment.

hilt = The handle of a weapon or tool (a sword/dagger/knife), where the blade is attached
......he had twice buried his knife up to the hilt in that defenceless body. (и дважды вонзил свой нож по самую рукоятку в беззащитное тело (Р. Л. Стивенсон)

+
http://www.innovateus.net/innopedia/what-does-phrase-hilt-mean

do sth to a [fare thee well]
fare thee well
1. a state of perfection: The meal was done to a fare-thee-well.
2. the maximum effect; fullest measure or extent: an actress who plays each scene to a fare-thee-well.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/fare-thee-well

Make for (idiomatic) ››››› to

Make for
(idiomatic) ›››››
to result in or make possible; have an effect or outcome (often the one desired or expected)
to cause a particular result or situation
cause to happen or to occur as a consequence
to help to
…make something possible
… bring about
… promote or maintain:
to tend to
…produce or result in.
… result in or be received as (a particular thing)
to create, make possible:

способствовать, содействовать чему-л.; приводить к чему-л. (часто о позитивном)
способствовать, благоприятствовать
..... Constant arguing doesn't make for a happy marriage.

..... job descriptions never make for exciting reading
..... The latest survey of global prices still makes for gloomy reading.
Sandra Jean Smith uses her extensive experience as a teacher in Public Primary Schools and as a TAFE teacher of illiterate adults to examine the possible causes for the ever-growing number of children starting school with speech problems, something unseen in previous generations. Her research on the topic, interspersed with personal stories, make for impressive reading . She uses humour and anecdotes to entertain and inform on such topics as childcare and parenting issues, and the library's role in stimulating children's interest in reading to counteract the influence of computer games and television.

..... The large print makes for easier reading. ≈ Большие буквы легче читать.
..... Having faster computers would make for a more efficient system.(CALD)
..... The new computers make for much greater productivity. (MM)

..... Both teams are on good form, which should make for a great game. (LDOCE)
..... your cooperation will make for the success of our project
..... The sleepiness and impaired reactions do not make for safe driving.
..... But such differences should make for an interesting friendship.
..... That step alone, he said, would make for more professional, efficient and honest law enforcement in Mexico.
..... We need less hostility, folks, and obeying the laws of the road can go a long way towards making for a peaceful existence.
..... This makes for comic and moving moments in a deep-thinking, pertinent play that is both heavy and light on the heart.
..... It makes for a strangely moving scene, despite or because of the hum of the nearby freeways.
..... She earns a big salary, and that makes for a good life for her family.
..... This incident will not make for better understanding between the warring factions.

More examples
.....There's mystery surrounding El Nino, but the crawling pace and the unsubtle hammering home of the similarities between Carrie and Brody make for dull watching
....Perhaps Homeland has been on the same stuff as Brody. That's the only reason that the reintroduction of a key character, along with some gang activity and people-smuggling, could make for such a boring hour of television.

дело дрянь ?? the shit hits

дело дрянь
??
the shit hits the fan (taboo)
if the shit hits the fan, a person or an organization gets into serious trouble If Dad finds out how much money you spent, the shit will really hit the fan.

Cambridge Idioms Dictionary,
the shit hits the fan (rude)
extremely unpleasant things happen and become known
The company's busy season was upon them once more, and the shit was hitting the fan.
Related vocabulary: something hits the fa
Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms Copy

hem and haw {US} (› to pause

hem and haw {US} (› to pause a lot and avoid saying something directly; to be uncertain and take a long time deciding something) — избегать прямого ответа, говорить уклончиво, колебаться; мямлить
hem and haw
hum and haw {UK}
We hemmed and hawed for months before actually deciding to buy the house. (CALD)

Example: My sister hemmed and hawed and then finally admitted she'd worn my shoes. (CACD)

Be indecisive:
I was humming and hawing over buying copies
More example sentences
There's been a bunch of legal experts wheeled on to hum and haw about this - perhaps it's good for Michael, because they'd know that kids lie.
But when I ask his closest advisers whether the Prime Minister has been persuaded of this, they hum and haw.
We, as girls, will hem and haw and analyze every letter of what we say to that ‘chosen ‘guy, and worry about how we're coming off, and just worry in general.

hem and haw
мямлить, запинаться; не решаться, колебаться; см. тж. hum and haw
‘What does this mean?’ Ma said. ‘Answer me, Morris Stroup!’ Pa hemmed and hawed for a while, trying to think of something to say. (E. Caldwell, ‘Georgia Boy’, ch. VII) — - что все это означает? - спросила мама. - Отвечай мне, Моррис Струп. Отец что-то промямлил, стараясь выиграть время.
‘Now, Mrs. Bowser,’ Reverend Bigbee said hastily, ‘This is no time to hem and haw. There's no time to lose.’ (E. Caldwell, ‘The Sure Hand of God’, ch. 8) — - Послушайте, миссис Баузер, - поспешно сказал достопочтенный Бигби. - Сейчас не время для колебаний. Нельзя терять времени.
He coughed and hummed and hawed... and seemed to have great difficulty in getting out what he wanted to say. (H. Pollitt, ‘Serving My Time’, ch. 15) — Он кашлял, запинался и мямлил... чувствовалось, что ему очень трудно высказать то, что он решил сказать.

hem and haw
{v. phr.} 1. To pause or hesitate while speaking, often with little throat noises. * /The man was a poor lecturer because he hemmed and hawed too much./ 2. To avoid giving a clear answer; be evasive in speech. * /The principal asked Bob why he was late to school, and Bob only hemmed and hawed./ Compare: BEAT AROUND THE BUSH.

http://idioms.enacademic.com/30777/hem_and_haw
Related vocabulary:

If you want to make/hear God

If you want to make/hear God laugh, tell him (about) your plans
Хочешь насмешить бога, расскажи ему о своих планах

misconstrue {X} as {Y} And

misconstrue {X} as {Y}

And if the speaker is someone who gets nervous talking in front of a group (as many of us do), they might misconstrue the laughing as mockery of something they said or did. They may feel bad. Then you look like a jerk.

purple

purple patches/passages
-----пышные/цветистые фразы (витиеватый стиль в искусстве)
There are long purple passages which distract the reader from the real point of the argument.

pad out

hooked me up (with

hooked me up (with sth)
helped me get something, did a favor for me, gave me something, helped me do something

The slang expression “hook up” has several different uses and meanings depending on the context of the conversation. However, there are two primary uses, one of which is defined above. “Hook me up” is almost always used to mean “help me out,” or “give me something.”
The other use usually has to do with dating. For example, two people could “hook up” at a restaurant for dinner – meaning that they met at a restaurant. Those same two people could “hook up” later in the evening at home – meaning that they kissed in a romantic way.
The expression could probably be used in a hundred different situations. I will try to give you several of them below.

hook sb up with sb/sth
to arrange for someone to meet or work with another person or organization:
..... We videotape applicants in practice interviews and hook them up with employers.

hook sb up with sth
help someone get what they are looking for
..... If you want to go to the concert, talk to Jerry – he can hook you up with tickets.

hook up with sb
to meet or begin to work with another person or organization:
..... a conference where startup companies can hook up with investors

Examples - Hear some example sentences (from http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/80/slang/hooked_me_up)
“(On a basketball court.)”
””Hey, hook me up with the ball man. I haven’t touched it all game. I want to shoot the ball once in a while too.”“

“(At school on Monday morning.)”
””What did you do this weekend? Did you hook up with Kathy? She’s hot, and I think she likes you.”“

“(At lunch time.)”
””Is your mom going to hook us up with lunch today? I’m starving! Let’s go to your house.”“

“(On Friday afternoon.)”
””Do you want to hook up later tonight? I want to go bowling. Give me a call when you get off work.”“

“(At a baseball game.)”
””When we got to the game I realized I forgot my money. Luckily, my friend hooked me up and bought a ticket for me.”“

jump through the hoops jump

jump through the hoops
jump through a hoop

(to do extra work to have something one wants; to do whatever you are told to do; obey any order, to do a lot of difficult things before you are allowed to have or do something you want; go through an elaborate or complicated procedure in order to achieve an objective; perform a difficult and gruelling series of tests at someone else’s request or command)
{букв. "прыгать через обруч"}
покорно, беспрекословно выполнять все требования; ≈ плясать под чью-л. дудку; ≈ стараться изо всех сил (угодить, услужить, пр); идти на многое, чтобы (угодить, услужить, добиться, пр.);

sb had to go through the hoop(s) to do sth -- пришлось много побегать/попотеть/попрыгать/ покрутиться ????/ с ног сбиться/ сто потов пролить/покорячиться/..., чтобы ...;
на изнанку вывернуться
make sb jump through hoops -- заставляют сто потов пролить; семь шкур сдерут, ...

.....They really make you jump through hoops before they allow you to adopt a baby. (CID)
..... If you want a home birth, you have to fight and jump through hoops (OALD)
..... The banks make you beg for a loan and they make you jump through hoops to get it. (OALD)

More example sentences
.....If I have to phone a call centre it's because I actually need some help with something, and don't appreciate being made to jump through hoops for several minutes before getting hold of a real, live human being who can assist me.
..... Unfortunately it is usually women, mainly single parents, who need genuine help and they are expected to jump through hoops to get any help.
..... He said if extra money was available for council housing, the council shouldn't be made to jump through hoops by the government to get it.
.....The development of these drugs consists solely of going through the hoops of getting bureaucratic approval to use them!
.....If he had sold the house then they would probably not have to go through the hoops of getting a search warrant.
.....Some orphans wreck their life with heavy use of illicit drugs after going through the hoops of searching for a job in vain.

Examples from englishbaby.com

.....If you want to study overseas, you’re going to have to jump through a lot of hoops.
.....I will jump through hoops to make guests comfortable in my home.
..... The salesperson had to jump through hoops to get her customer to buy the car.

Кунин

He considered them rather outsiders, but once they got inside they made him jump through the hoop. (D. H. Lawrence, ‘Lady Chatterley's Lover’) — Клиффер считал родственников жены чужими людьми и понимал, что, если он с ними сблизится, они заставят его плясать под свою дудку.
We had all this marvelous food, and James kept talking his beautiful French to the... waiters and they kept jumping through hoops for him. (E. O'Connor, ‘All in the Family’) — Нам подали великолепную еду. Джемс обращался к официантам... на прекрасном французском языке, и они изо всех сил старались услужить ему.
Man with money rules the rest - all the movements, all the men - preachers, reformers, politicians. Ah yes, lad, the lot of them jump through the hoop - talk about trained seals! (S. Chaplin, ‘The Watchers and the Watched’) — человек с деньгами правит всем и вся. Вся бражка - проповедники, реформаторы, политиканы - все прыгают через обруч. Почище дрессированных морских львов.

2) пройти через испытание, подвергнуться испытанию, наказанию

Jmping through the hoops

...I’ve been in school now for almost five years. Every semester, including summers. To say I’m ready to be finished with all this doesn’t even come close to expressing my feelings. The phrase jumping through the hoops comes to my mind almost every day lately. I get it. That’s what school is. Go through the process. Complete the busy work. Juggle a million things at once because it’ll teach us “kids” how to be professionals and how to deal with real-world stress. Except, no. It won’t. It doesn’t. Okay, I really have no idea. Maybe that kind of hoop-jumping is helpful for some students. I don’t know. But I’ve been out in the “real world” for ten years and I’ve never experienced the level of stress and frustration that is required to get through a semester of full-time engineering courses. And, frankly, I’m really tired of jumping through the hoops . I know how to write a professional paper. I know how to give a presentation. I know how to go through an orderly concept/analysis/execute process. I know how to work on a team. I’ve done all these things. I can do them, and pretty well at that.

What I do need to learn are the last couple of hardcore engineering topics: heat transfer, controls and a few electives in my area of interest: energy. Those are the classes where I’d prefer to focus my attention without the distraction of all the hoop-jumping required from other, (in my opinion) less necessary classes. I’m actually really enjoying my thermal systems class. After getting through almost the entire engineering curriculum, this is the first class where a professor has explained how a pump literally works, showed diagrams of the interior parts and taught us how to choose an appropriate pump size based on piping and valve/fitting pressure losses. This is an elective. This class isn’t even required. Sigh. But I digress.

put sb through the hoop
(put sb through the hoop(s))
подвергнуть кого-л. испытанию, наказать кого-л.

make a noise about sth UK

make a noise about sth
UK informal
› to talk about or complain about something a lot: She's been making a lot of noise about moving to a new house.
make noises
informal
› to show what you think or feel by what you say, without stating it directly: He's been making noises about taking us all to Rio, but we haven't heard anything definite. › (also make a noise) to complain or make trouble: If things start going badly again, our members are sure to make noises.

make (all) the right, correct, etc. noises
mainly UK
› to say the things you are expected to say, sometimes when you do not mean them: He made all the right noises about my audition but I couldn't tell if he was genuinely impressed.

make noise expr.
do things to get attention
Eminem uses bad language and stories about his childhood to make noise and boost his career.
To be successful in the music industry, you need to do more than make music. You need to make noise. Elvis shook his hips. Madonna kissed Britney. Eminem used his potty mouth. Celebrity controversies are all around us, from Janet Jackson’s flashing incident to Britney’s flash Las Vegas wedding to an old friend, and hardly a day goes by without fresh news of some celebrity doing something off-the-wall to get attention.
Make a noise Do something in a manner likely to attract attention.*
----------------------
Newborns, within the first few hours of life, cry in response to hunger
and pain. Soon thereafter, spanning a period of a few weeks, infants make
noises and contort their faces in ways that we interpret as happiness, anger,
fear, sadness, and even disgust. For many, these are the core emotions, present
in all cultures, and evident soon after delivery from maternal Eden.

have an eye for обладать

have an eye for
обладать наблюдательностью; иметь зоркий глаз
быть знатоком чего-либо; уметь разбираться в чем-либо
быть знатоком, любителем чего-л., ценить что-л., понимать, знать толк в чем-л.;
2) иметь зоркий глаз, обладать наблюдательностью; глаз наметан."
to be able to judge correctly of;
have good taste in.
to be able to understand and appreciate something
…..She certainly had an eye for art, which explains, of course, why she was a successful art dealer.

..... She has an eye for color and style in clothes.
..... He has an eye for good English usage./ … Dictionary of American idioms

2 to have a taste or an inclination for someone or something.
Bob has an eye for beauty. He has an eye for color.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs

2 to be good at noticing a particular type of thing
She has an eye for detail.
He had an eye for the unusual and the exotic which made him a very good shopping companion.
1. Be discriminating or perceptive about something, as in She has an eye for decorating.

Usage notes: also used in the form with an eye for something:
I think I was born with an eye for beauty.
Related vocabulary: have an ear for something
Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms

tie together (connect all

tie together (connect all the pieces) — связать, связать в единое целое

Examples:
...I didn’t understand what was happening in the novel until the author finally tied everything together in the last chapter. (englishbabe.com)

connect the dots

never let a day/week/year etc

never let a day/week/year etc go by without doing something
used to say that someone does a particular thing very regularly
дня/недели/года/ др. не проходит без чего-л.; ня/недели/года/ др. не пропустить, чтобы не сделать что-л.

Examples:
.....They never seem to let a year go by without introducing a new version of their software.
(LDOCE)

ring the changes (on) ring

ring the changes (on)
ring the changes (with something) (British English)
› to do something in a different way in order to make it more interesting:
to make changes to something in order to have greater variety
to make changes to something, not because it needs changing but just in order to make it more interesting, more attractive etc
to make changes in order to do something differently, make it more interesting, etc.
to make major changes to something
vary the ways of expressing, arranging, or doing something
Origin:
with allusion to bell-ringing and the different orders in which a peal of bells may be rung ring the changes
…..Let’s ring the changes and repaint the whole house.
…..The team's manager rang the changes at halftime so that more players would have a chance to play.

You ring the changes, or ring the changes on something, when you change something or do something new for variety:

…..For variety, ring the changes on packed lunches using different types of bread and spicy fillings
….. Choose a variety of foods and ring the changes with meals. (LDOCE)
….. Ring the changes with a new colour.
….. Why not ring the changes and freshen up your image with some of this season’s fantasy jewellery ?

вносить мелкие изменения, не затрагивать главного; повторять на все лады /букв. вызванивать на колоколах/
to ring the changes - вносить разнообразие / улучшать; вносить разнообразие / проводить изменения- находить новые варианты одного и того же; варьировать на все лады
варьировать; разнообразить; варьировать на все лады; находить новые варианты одного и того же

The Maiden: "...Do you suppose I can spend centuries dancing, listening to flutes ringing changes on a few tunes and a few notes." (B. Shaw, ‘Back to Methuselah’, part V) — Девушка: "...Вы думаете, я могу бесконечно танцевать и слушать, как флейты все время повторяют несколько одних и тех же мелодий?"

Penelope (persuasively): "It'll make my frocks last so much longer if I have some nice hats. You see, you ring the changes, and people think you have a new gown on." (W. S. Maugham, ‘Penelope’, act II) — Пенелопа (молящим голосом): "Но мои платья можно будет носить гораздо дольше, если у меня будут красивые шляпки. Вносишь какое-то разнообразие, а люди думают, что у тебя новое платье."

The old man rang all the changes possible with ten bottles of claret. (C. P. Snow, ‘The Masters’, part II, ch. 22) — Старик вносил бесконечное разнообразие в свою манеру пить, демонстрируя это на десяти бутылках кларета.

Our offer will enable you to ring the changes with food of the dog. - Наше предложение позволить вам разнообразить рацион, чтобы собаке не надоедала одна и та же пища.
I like to ring the changes with dark curtains in the winter, and light ones in the summer. - Я люблю вносить разнообразие, вешая темные шторы зимой, а светлые - летом.

to run through the whole range of possible variations; reiterate in exhaustive variety of expression
…..rings the changes on possible meanings of words — David Daiches..
…..clever at ringing the changes with a black frock and a white one — Frances Towers